Social Networking Make Trent Mad!

trent.jpg

In a lengthy rant on nin.com, Trent Reznor writes:

I will be tuning out of the social networking sites because at the end of the day it’s now doing more harm than good in the bigger picture and the experiment seems to have yielded a result. Idiots rule.

All this from the guy who spent the last few years going deep into ARGs, online forums, and Twitter.

[via Pitchfork]

image by Andra Veraart

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Social Networking Make Trent Mad!

#2 said: “My interest in nine inch nails has gone from “crazed fan” to “casual passing curiosity about what Mr. Reznor is up to these days””

Me too, and my first thought at seeing that picture is “damn, Trent looks like Tom Jones now”.

2. Brandon West says:

I think he’d be less stressed if he added some more fiber to his diet.

Anon7, dude, Trent is ripped now. He’s more muscular and in better shape than he ever has been. Sure he’s aged, but you do know that’s what humans are prone to, right?

@Sworm, STFU! U SUQ LOLZ! NEWFAG!!

4. jmendonsa says:

oh my god. the human populace acts illogically and is filled with idiots. what a fucking revelation, trent, and only one discoverable through social networking and not wars, famine, equality…

a childish response to change.

5. strider_mt2k says:

Okay Okay, Trent. We see you. You’re still here. -or not.

Acknowledged.

Welcome to Endless September…

7. drtwist says:

you seem to be implying that social networking is by definition good and “guy who spent the last few years going deep into ARGs, online forums, and Twitter. ” ought to know better.

I can’t imagine being a celebrity that huge quantities of people suddenly have more direct access to. it must make the internet’s already abysmal signal/noise ratio even more dismally low (take this comment for instance…).

8. caldrax says:

I’ll say what I just said in that thread:

My interest in nine inch nails has gone from “crazed fan” to “casual passing curiosity about what Mr. Reznor is up to these days” over the years, but I am always a little bit perplexed by these sorts of posts. In the same respect that people are telling others to ignore Reznor/Mariqueen, why doesn’t the reverse apply? If you are famous, there are people who will spew hatred at you and despise you. Can’t it just be accepted that they are pathetic jealous scum and everyone moves on? Why quit just because a few douchebags pissed on your e-parade?

Hell, I’m not even famous and I’ve had hate sites made about me. I actually find it kind of flattering: someone cared so much that they decided to devote their time to hating me. Wow. It’s sad for them, but it must mean I’m doing something provocative or interesting to illicit such a response. Why not just take it in stride, keep posting and laugh off the negativity? There’s no escaping it in life- the only solace is to not take it too seriously (or, uh, report it to the police if it’s truly dangerous stuff).

We have a President who now provokes more hate than probably any in history, but more love, too. It’s never gonna be all one way or the other.

9. Steven Leckart says:

I don’t believe social networking is inherently good by any means. And I think he’s right to complain.

But completely shutting himself off from that world seems like a bad move, imho. It’s not a zero sum game.

I think his conclusions are about right, actually. Whether or not the action he decided to take based on that is right? That’s a different matter. It’s ceding a battle to an inferior foe.

11. sky says:

A little off topic, but for some reason the thing I found most disturbing is that TR put down certain sections of his public by calling them “plump” girls who noone wants to fuck. Seems a little hypocritical given how he’s railing against others.

12. gobo says:

Last month Trent used Twitter to raise $850,000 to help a young man in need of a heart transplant.

If Trent thinks “idiots rule” on Twitter, he’s the real idiot.

13. Nannes2 says:

That’s a different matter. It’s ceding a battle to an inferior foe.
    BBA degree | PhD english

14. Nannes2 says:

International business degree | ME degree

15. Nannes2 says:

Get degree

@DCULBERSON Ever seen Tom Jones without the characteristic blazer? If Trent is looking like Tom Jones they both hit the weight room now and again. MILFs throw their panties at Tom more than just for his performance.

17. sworm says:

HAHAHAHAHA YOU ALL SUCK COCKS FAGS!

(j/k)

I’m going to write about this on my blog.