Gallery: Automated Tie Racks Still Exist?!

“It’s smooth. It purs like a kitten. It won’t wake up the wife when you’re coordinating an outfit for work in the morning… So if you or someone you know is looking to embrace push-button living that would make even the Jetsons envious, this little gem of a gadget is for you.”

I remember getting my Dad a motorized neck tie rack back in the 1980s. It ran OK for a while, but the motor died or, at the very least, he never bothered to replace the batteries. Probably because he found the thing useless.

20 years later, there are a handful of these contraptions still being sold. I haven’t used any of them personally, but if the quality of the videos, websites and images advertising them are any indication, well, I’m not too certain you should rush out to buy one.

After the jump, check out racks capable of holding more than 70 ties!*

*What fashion forward fella has six dozen ties, belts and/or scarves?!

This post is part of a theme day: BBG on Fashion

“Organize your wardrobe and keep your life running smoothly at the same time…”

Also from Hugogate: 54 ties, 4 belts

54 ties.jpg

Available from Brookstone: “NEW”

brookstone.jpg

Previously available from Brookstone: wood = classy

tierackbrookstone_new.jpg

[via The Domestic Diva]

Available from Pro-Idee: 68 ties, shines “pleasantly”

pro-idee rack.jpg

Previously available from Sharper Image: 72 ties

autodrive rack.jpg

Previously available from Sharper Image: T-rrific

powertie.jpg

Available from Walmart: 30 ties

walmart_rack.jpg

Available from NexusGadgets:30 ties, too

Tie_Rack_Mini_Main.jpg

Available from Tecnoregalos: 64 ties, plus 8 belts

regalos rack.jpg

Available from Storeshop: Presumably the top opens so you can… wait, huh?

rotating-tie-racksml.jpg

Available from Bagala

: Elektrischen Krawattenhalter!

This entry was posted in Junk and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Gallery: Automated Tie Racks Still Exist?!

1. Brandon West says:

People still wear ties?

2. Enochrewt says:

Umm, I own no less than 70 ties. Granted, 80% of them have been passed down from my father and other people. Nothin’ beats a plaid, wool tie.

Currently all of those ties are draped over two hangers and hung in the closet, and truly are a hipster’s wet dream.

3. EllisGL says:

What they need is one with a camera on it and a CPU that will take a picture of what you are wearing and figure out which tie would be best for you to the wear.

4. mikeryz says:

I actually have one of these now, after using a “regular” wall mounted tie rack all through High School (wearing ties every day in both cases). It’s cheap plastic, the light is corny (but actually useful, as my building is from the 20s and has crappy lighting), but it was like $20 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. If you have a walk-in closet, or plenty of space to have a entire wall-mounted (i.e. non motorized) rack visible (the kind with the swingy wires), that will look better and be easier (and greener). If you have an apartment in Manhattan, fitting all your unused ties in about 6 inches of my closet rail (because you know that the 5 you actually wear are over a chair somewhere), it can actually make sense. The key here is low expectations.

5. The Lizardman says:

I still remember the (joke) sign in my high school shop (aka industrial arts) room that advertised

“We’re looking for a few good men…to build great tie racks! Sign up for shop class and we’ll make you a man, who can make a tie rack!”

It was put was found and put up by the teacher who ran the metal shop in the 70′s and was eventually inherited by my Dad who taught shop (he refused to call it Industrial Arts) till they cut the program. I wonder if he still has it tucked away somewhere.

6. acb says:

And I thought Wes Anderson made those up.

7. Marlet says:

Man although that is supposed to be technology it looks very dated and whats wrong having a hanger of tiees? waste of money in my opinion

Free iPod | Free iPhone