Gigabit powerline ethernet

belkingigeth.jpg

Belkin’s new Powerline HD starter kit claims to offer gigabit speeds through your home’s power wiring. [Belkin]

Because of its high Gigabit speeds and consistent connection, Gigabit Powerline reduces online gaming latency and provides large bandwidth, making it ideal for online PC gaming and ultrafast high-quality transmission of multiple video streams. While the current fastest powerline technology runs at 200Mbps, Gigabit Powerline delivers content at 1000Mbps of speed.

My experience with this sort of gadget is that throughput drops hard and fast with distance — a 200MBps model I tried offered only a few megabits worth of actual transfer over a 60ft run.

This one, however, is much prettier.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in belkin. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Gigabit powerline ethernet

1. royaltrux says:

I just hope they don’t splatter unintentional RF everywhere like other broadband over powerline systems tend to.

2. camera bags says:

Well, the Powerline offers faster real-world connection over Wireless-N. When you are streaming HD around the house, wireless can be iffy at times. It is best if you can just run Cat-5, but if you are in a rental solutions like these can be great to offer a decent connection.

3. Sublo says:

“Can you explain this to a confused n00b? How can you get anything faster than what your internet company provides you? If you’re getting 30Mbps from your cable provider, what does having this thing do for you?”

You can’t. Not only that, that figure your cable/dsl company is giving you is pretty much useless marketing crap. There are very few servers pushing data at that rate save for the very largest universities and corporations (e.g., Stamford, Apple, MS, etc.).

On to your issue… this is intended, as are wired Gig routers, switches, adapters for HOME Local Area Networks. You’re going to see speed improvements when copying from local machine to local machine not through a bottle-necked WAN connection. That’s a huge plus for many people.

4. phisrow says:

I wonder if this is like the USB 1.1 “100Mb ethernet” adapter(because you can definitely get 100Mb ethernet over a 12Mb bus) I got suckered into buying when I was young and stupid?

5. Rickyneck says:

These are nice to have.

I use them for my parents computers since I like to keep control on the router and it’s a lot easier than running cat5 or trying to install wireless network cards in their shitty desktop PCs.

6. Simon says:

I had a pair of the previous version. They worked exceptionally well, but you had to try various combination of outlets, and make sure nothing else was plugged into the same outlet. The also possess the BRIGHTEST BLUE LEDs I have ever seen. Seriously, they should come with the required piece of aluminum foil and tape to cover it.

7. Zarniwoop says:

This does look nice. Even if it produces a mere 200Mb/s over a fair distance, that’s still enough to blow n-wireless clean away. (You’d probably be lucky to get a few Mbs on g-wireless at a range of 60 feet. Especially if there’re a few walls in the way.)

It’d just be nice if they did a version for 240v sockets. :(

I like how they make a latency claim based upon the data transfer rate. Those aren’t the same thing.

9. brianary says:

My experience with data over power (albeit a phone-over-power jack) is that when you use minor power surges to communicate, you can’t really filter surges.

One lightning strike, and my adapter melted.

10. PLC-LI says:

I came across this site that claims to have solved all inherent problems associated with PLC adapter performance, when I google-searched with these key words: plc performance problem lightning safety

It claims to even enhance connection-rate of a 200Mbps PLC-adapter from less than 30Mbps (while sharing a power outlet with a PC, a vacuum cleaner and a power-drill) to more than 150Mbps, just by adding a PLC-add-on device.

Can we believe it?

11. snej says:

Companies do the silliest things to try to sell to gamers. Gigabit bandwidth isn’t going to help in the slightest — games are already tuned to send as little data as possible so they’ll run well over home Internet connections. Definitely less than 1 megabit; so a gigabit is total overkill.

If anything I would expect _greater_ latency with powerline Ethernet since it’s running over a very noisy medium, which could lead to higher rates of packet loss and retransmission.

12. SamSam says: