T-Mobile myTouch 3G

mytouch.jpg

T-Mobile’s second handset to feature Google’s Android operating system, the myTouch 3G is manufactured by HTC and will hit the U.S. in August. At $200 with a 2-year contract, it’ll be offered in white, black and dark red. Other features include Wi-Fi, GPS, a 3.2 megapixel camera with automatic uploads, Exchange support and a bundled 4GB microSD card. [T-Mobile]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to T-Mobile myTouch 3G

1. coolfx35 says:

I for one am very excited to get myTouch3G. I’ve been using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile for a while now.

I like T-Mobile’s network where I live and the call quality is excellent. I’ve been testing their 3G network out here in LA and I like what I see. They don’t have 80 million users clogging up the network so at least in my area it’s all mine for the taking. ;-) No complaints here!

I text and email a lot for my business. Using a virtual keyboard is good for quick stuff, like searches. An actual keyboard is a must. If only the MyTouch had a slide out keyboard. It would be awesome.

I would have preferred a 3.5 mm jack, but when I stop and think about how many times I’d need it it’s really a moot point. I use my Nano for music and a BT headset for calls while driving.

Discuss more about this phone at http://www.myTouch3GForum.com, I usually hangs out there.

2. myTouch Apps says:

It is quite a bit slimmer than the G1 and “feels” much more slick and slips much more easily into a pocket or a purse. They could have invested in a better lens on the camera; I don’t think it’s the lack of pixels that’s a problem, there’ something else at play that seems to lower the image quality.

3. hohum says:

I’m not sure if I can get on board with Android yet… Seems like it still hasn’t really ‘taken off,’ or have I missed something?

Also, I’ve never been a fan of HTC… Build quality always seemed shoddy, and designs never struck me…

…but, this design strikes me quite hard… quite hard indeed…!

4. Micalise says:

does the camera have zoom?

5. Vadermoss says:

I’m so tired of waiting for phones to come out in the US. MBA’s are ruining the world, or at least the US markets.

6. wastrel says:

The camera on the G1 is ass. Even in bright outdoor light. Colors are off, image is grainy, blurry, it takes forever to capture the image after pushing the button.

The stabilization app is cool, no lie – it uses the accelerometer to find a good moment to snap the shot, resulting in better photos. But still not good. And it takes sooooo loooong – multiple seconds to capture a picture.

I’ve pretty much given up using the camera on my G1, sigh.

7. igpajo says:

Liamo, how are the pictures that it takes? My wife returned here G1 after a couple weeks because the pictures it took were horrible, and that’s one of the things she was really looking for in a smartphone. All the pictures were blurry, and the actually taking of the picture by the camera was almost a full second after pushing the button, resulting in lots and lots of missed shots.

8. SteveRAWR says:

Part of the reason you have trouble with the time it takes the camera to snap a frame is due to the time it takes for the phone to write the information to the memory card. If you save the pictures to the phone first it’ll go quite a bit faster, or if you could find a micro SD ultra. It really has very little to do with the phone itself, as the memory card’s “exposure” rate is very slow.

9. zikman says:

hmm, this looks very appealing

10. dero says:

I have a Magic (Australian version). It is really nice, particular with apps like Google’s Tracks, which automatically creates custom Google Maps of a track when you cycle / run / hike, and generates a bunch of speed / altitude / incline data.

Android runs very snappily on it, and all the other stuff works very nicely, except, as everyone else has mentioned, the camera. Even with Cupcake, I’m damned if I can get a stable image out of it (I haven’t tried the custom stabiliser apps, yet, though). I’m terrible at taking photos at the best of times anyway, so it doesn’t matter so much to me.

11. Matt Katz says:

Do you get a standard headphone jack? Believe it or not, that killed it for me last time around.

12. liamo says:

These have been out in Australia for a couple of weeks now. My housemate has one and I really dig it. It’s much slicker than my iPhone, and doesn’t require fucking around with a WinXP+iTunes VM to sync it from within Linux

13. Crashproof says:

There’s an image stabilization app for Android that kills the blurriness. I think there might also be one that shoots faster (but is blurry), but I didn’t worry about it since all cameraphones and a couple of the stand-alone cameras I’ve tried have been slow.

14. mralistair says:

So I read this precisely 30 minutes after signing up for an HTC magic

bugger

15. mralistair says:

my mistake, it seems it’s just being renamed for T mobile with some different colour options.

16. techdeviant says:

The camera is not perfect on my G1, but with the latest cupcake update I’ve found that it reacts a little better than before.

17. anthony says:

how is the web brower does it load up fast an do you get all your pages to load anybody know what the memory spec’s are an does it have more memory then the g1