EZGrill, a single-use portable charcoal grill

ezgrill.jpg

There’s not much to an EZGrill, the single-use aluminum pan filled with charcoal. It’s impossible not to look at the thing and think “I could make that myself in about ten minutes.” And maybe you can.

But can you fill it with 100% natural charcoal?* EZGrill has—enough to grill for an hour-and-a-half. Tear off the top, light a match on the starter paper, and let the coals flame down for about 15 minutes and you should be good to go.

Perhaps it’s wasteful—warding people away from “unsanitary grills at the park” puts my teeth on edge, as there’s no more lovely sanitizer than fire—but I can think of a few scenarios where a five-dollar little grill could be very handy. (I mentioned it was only five bucks, right?) Camping at the beach, for instance, or anywhere where fire pits are not welcome or provided. Quick outdoor cookouts at the end of a backpacking session. Or even just on the back porch for people who don’t want to bother with buying a grill.

It should even be possible to recycle the grill when it’s done by washing out the ashes. They’re already using recycled aluminum, too.

If you want one now, you’ll have to find a Winn-Dixie. If you don’t know what that is (it’s a southern grocery chain), then you’ll just have to wait, because there’s no online ordering.

* How “natural” is hard to say, and it’s certainly not lump or chunk charcoal, but the manufacturer does at least note that they don’t use sulfur, borax, or contaminated clay—a welcome touch, even if it will make recreating the nuance of street food a challenge that can only be solved with an infusion of carbon monoxide and Clorox.

This entry was posted in Theme Post and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to EZGrill, a single-use portable charcoal grill

1. dr says:

Absolutely not new in the US. We used to keep one in our trunk (in case we wanted a spontaneous cookout in a park with no grills) almost 20 years ago.

2. Shawn says:

Just what we need in society – more disposable convenience items.

3. Not a Doktor says:

looks like Jiffy Pop’s fat caousin.

4. Sara C says:

“This is a great idea as I hate using the park’s grills. I love the fact that we are saving some trees and it doesn’t cost me a fortune! I have used them before and I haven’t had any of the problems these other people mentioned. Did some great steaks on them from the receipes!”

@Joel: They might be new in the US, but that does not necessarily make it a good thing. Disposable barbecues have been around Norway for at least 15 years. Around decade ago most public parks installed fire-proof garbage containers for keeping the smoldering remains – but the sheer amount of them used on a summer day still means that it becomes a nuisance/garbage problem and a fire hazard. (Mind you, us vikings enjoy barbecuing very much the entire two weeks of summer.)

Luckily, it has become in vogue to be eco-conscious in norway. More and more people use Weber Go-Anywheres and the likes in the park instead. It is considered in poor taste – or a backup solution to grill on the flimsy disposables.

6. feedingfashionistas says:

I’d like to throw in another +1 for the Weber Go-Anywhere grill, like this:

It starts charcoal quickly, has plenty of space for a meal for 2 or 3, and packs up securely (for the next 10 years of cookouts, instead of today’s.)

I bought one many years ago at the behest of a foodie uncle, and it’s served me admirably. I’m not a gas grill person, generally, but for “park grilling” I’d be tempted to go gas, just for the “no smoldering ashes to dispose of” factor.

These days I often just bring a butane stove and frying pan on car camping trips when I’m not committed to “grilling”.

7. pupdog says:

There’s been variants of these around for a while here in NA too Joel, possibly not with the natural charcoal and recycled content, but I’ve bought a couple of them at different groceries. What I had was round like a pie plate, but closer to 15″-18″ or so in diameter with a pair of u-shaped aluminum legs that were notched together in the middle to rest it all on. About 8 bucks if I remember correctly, and it worked pretty well for a cheap, spur-of-the-moment cookout.

8. Zenconcrete says:

Great product though banned in most parks in Berlin. They leave nasty burned patches on the lawn when people use them without the wire-legs. But perfect for those who like packing light.

That picture indicates that the grill is not lit. If it was, the plastic tablecloth and styrofoam plate would have either melted or have burst into flames.

10. George McCracken says:

If the pic is any indication, I don’t think I would want to cook on it. Either that, or the chef really needs to brush up on his BBQ skills. Those dogs and burgers look like artists charcoals and hockey pucks.

11. caipirina says:

I tested one last summer in Austria, was only 2€ … i liked the idea, but it is only one single layer of charcoal and did not create enough heat for the chicken drumsticks I was doing … I think for some quick wieners or flat burgers it is ok … or to create interesting burn marks on someone’s bum :D

12. stabthecatt says:

These ‘grills’ have been around in the UK for decades; haven’t they?

I fail to see the relevance of this product being posted, unless it’s a paid-for advert?

… grumble, grumble.

13. retrojoe says:

Or you can spend $15 on a cheap portable grill at Wally-World and $5 on a bag of charcoal and be good for the summer. And a lot safer too; I would not put a disposable cake pan full of burning charcoal on a wooden table when it’s only supported by some flimsy bent wire.

And yes, they’ve been around the UK/Ireland for quite awhile. I first saw them while I was going to school there. A few people used them around the campus apartments towards summer. I saw at least one sheet of plywood set on fire by these.