HTC’s latest Android phone, the Hero

htchero.jpg

Coming in 2009 across the globe, the attractive HTC Hero. The whole thing is covered in Teflon, making it perfect for frying. And in a first for an Android phone, it includes a proper 3.5mm headphone jack.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to HTC’s latest Android phone, the Hero

1. Clay says:

@DCulberson

Exactly what I’m hoping for — a “touch to play” box in front of each Flash embed, so I can skip the six dozen ads sitting around the average blog page and play the single Vimeo embed at (hopefully) a decent framerate.

2. Clay says:

The big deal for the Hero, as far as I’m concerned, is this “Sense UI” thing HTC has cooked up. It actually makes Android look rather nice.

Interestingly, the publicity shots seem to focus on the software design more than the hardware — yet another sign that the rest of the industry is at last acting on the real lesson* of the iPhone.

*The “not real” lesson of the iPhone being that you should just try to make everything look like the iPhone, and the real lesson being that usability is paramount.

3. Michiel says:

“making it perfect for frying” was a laugh out loud for me, thanks.

4. Clay says:

Oh, and… Flash. Palm’s going to have to get cracking, and Apple’s going to have to do some serious ego-searching.

5. xsuperstore says:

great phone, i want to sell this one in my store, price???

6. It looks like a pretty decent and good looking phone in white color specially but i haven’t seen its unique features mention but you can’t compare this gadget to the iPhone stuff as well……….

7. sworm says:

I wonder if this would be compatible with google wave when that comes out.

Looks pretty nice. I haven’t seen videos of someone typing on the hero yet. Until then, it’s a no.

8. PrettyBoyTim says:

I think the Samsung Galaxy is out in Germany now – it also has a 3.5mm jack. I wonder how the two compare? It sounds as if both will be released in the UK at around the same time (July).

9. TJ S says:

My decision for a new phone just got that much harder. Loving the look of this (and the Teflon thing should help avoid fingerprints) phone, but I’m also digging the Pre.

It’ll come down to where webOS and Android both are in October, when I’ll be free of my current contract.

10. zikman says:

I’ve been considering a google phone pretty hard for the past few weeks. helps that I’m already on t-mobile.

11. Dejan says:

I just saw it in Switzerland. I tried typing on it. It vibrates wile typing. I like its keybord much better then iPhone’s.

I’m not really sure I want flash on my phone… it’s already a bit of a chore browsing the wild untamed web without flash ads taking a lot of cpu and battery. Maybe if it comes with a built-in flash blocker where you have to manually choose to load each individual flash application?

13. coolfx35 says:

I’m not going to compare it to the iPhone because they are very different animals, all I have to say is that Android’s community support is phenomenal, it’s the reason I got the G1 and so far I’m stoked with the way things are going.

The phone/OS hasn’t been out for a year and look where we are at already; almost every user/community request has been answered or is being worked on; either officially or by the community itself, the point is that it’s a huge open source success.

happy to see a phone like the HTC Hero coming to the U.S. Market, already found forum for it at http://www.HTC-Hero.com let’s get some discussions going guys.

14. Alan says:

Teflon? Hmm…

I work with a tool that’s made of teflon. While it resists stains well, is rather light in weight and isn’t hard like plastic and should help provide protection in case of impact, it gets scratched up very easily and oils are a pain in the butt to clean off.

15. Rickyneck says:

I am really looking or an Android phone with a larger screen – and real CPU power. How about some snapdragon?

16. mack123 says:

http://www.puremobile.com/HTC/HTC-Hero-White-GSM-Phone/ is this a touch screen phone or a slider with full keyboard?

17. coolfx35 says:

Has anybody else read the reviews on the Hero? Granted, they called it the best android phone yet, but they also called it laggy, and it’s multimedia capabilities aren’t ranked so great either. It looks like i’ll be waiting for some real world reviews by some of you early adopters..Share your views at http://www.HTC-Hero.com would love to heard what you think.

18. Trent Hawkins says:

Doesn’t look too pocket friendly though.

19. FriedRice says:

@Trent Hawkins
    yeah i would imagine that it would snap in half in my pocket.

20. kpkpkp says:

Isn’t Teflon the trade name for PTFE, aka the slipperiest substance ever created?

Are you sure you want that property in the exterior of a device that you just may, ummm, drop?

Just don’t heat it near your songbirds.