Buy Me A Shuttle-Bike Kit, Please

I don’t speak Italian, so I don’t know what these folks are saying. But I’m not certain that really matters. These kits, which fit in backpack, can be used to create a pedal-powered boat out of a bicycle. It comes with a rudder and two inflatable floaties you pump up &mdash get this &mdash via pedaling. The Shuttle-Bike technology dates back to 1992 and has been available for purchase since at least 2003, and yet I’ve never seen one in person, even in San Francisco.

I want one.

This entry was posted in cycling. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Buy Me A Shuttle-Bike Kit, Please

Since Zombies are anaerobic, they just walk across the bottom of the waterway. No escape even in the wet!

2. PLeblanc says:

Hmmm. Odd how it doesn’t show what is involved with getting in and out of the water and on and off the bike once it is in the water. I’m guessing your biking shoes get very wet.

3. CoquiELF says:

I’ve seen one of these in the Boulder Kinetics race (I’m pretty sure you can see it behind the main craft in this photo)

It gets a pretty good turn of speed on flat water, and I seem to recall that the person running it in the race had to have someone help him steady the craft to get aboard. However, it looked like it was a lot easier to power around than all of our engineered floating sculptures…

4. Suburbancowboy says:

Claudio Chiapucci (in the video) is a very famous cyclist.
    His legacy may be tainted due to admission to doping (which he later retracted), but he was a pretty exciting rider to watch.

5. exhilaration says:

Damn, that’s awesome but I have a feeling they’re not very fast. Also how they hell does it work – is there something connected to the wheel?

6. ClaMs says:

Quick translation:
    Hi all, I’m Claudio Chiapucci, and I’m happy to show you the shuttle bike, a very innovative product for sport and leisure. It’s a kit which in 10mins allows your bike to become a water-bike. It’s an italian product which is admired all around the world, and has passed all tests, even extreme ones.

The Shuttle Bike kits consists of 3 major elements, the framework on which you place your bike, the floats and the transmission kit (gearing system). You also have a universal kit to connect your bike to the framework, a pump, an instruction manual as well as a comfortable backpack in which you can store all elements for easy transport. It takes less than 10mins to set the shuttle bike up, and you can do it by yourself without any help.”

After explaining how it is assembled, the video then basically says how successful internationally it was, how safe it is, and that it doesn’t need any licences to use in lakes, seas, and rivers. It goes up to 10km/hr (but as a professional, he says he can reach more). It was launched with the crossing of the strait of Messina. It can be used against currents and has a 12 month guarantee which starts on the day of purchase.

…I just came home from a heavy night out, and I wasn’t too sleepy. I doubt I would be doing this for all your Italian video clips :p

7. Cnoocy says:

A quick search indicates they run about $1100 or so.

8. Cnoocy says:

The propeller and pump both seem to be powered by a small roller set against the rear wheel. Very clever.

9. overunger says:

I bet Tim and Eric would love this video!

10. alowishus says:

I wonder if one of these would be legal on Lake Merritt in Oakland. I love cycling, but I hate all the damn traffic around here.

11. Halloween Jack says:

If I had a Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang bike, I would never go home again.

12. pewma says:

I don’t know Italian either but the site doesn’t seem to have them for sale. Anyone know the price? Or is it still a prototype? I’d love to have one of these kits for floating the rivers here in Missoura. But I think I’d need a retractable rudder and propeller for the shallows…

13. nehpetsE says:

yet another product to stockpile in case of zombie attack.