Goodbye

ib33sm.jpg

This is my last week at Boing Boing. I’ve several projects that I’ve been dying to do for several years, and as much as working with everyone here is a dream job, there comes a point when you have to take a leap and commit to those ideas.

I’m bummed, of course. Working with everyone here has been a real pleasure, and if I have any regret it will be that I won’t be working with everyone on a daily basis in the future. Yet I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished here in the last couple of years, starting two new brands in a very crowded space that I think do something very different than their competitors, and helping to grow Boing Boing into something broader and weirder than it was before.

I leave BBG in the ridiculously able hands of Rob Beschizza, who already does the yeoman’s work on the site. He’ll be leading the BBG and Offworld teams toward greater things, I’m sure, and I look forward to seeing how they evolve without my meddling.

And thanks to all of you in the community, even those of you are total cocks: there’s nothing I love more than to get into a good scrap in the comments and come out feeling like I’ve learned something. (Even if the lesson is simply “Man, that guy is a total cock.”)

I’m going to be sticking around for another week metaphorically cleaning out my desk, finishing up the reviews I have stacked up and handing over my responsibilities. I’m putting this announcement up now so that anyone who needs something from me with regard to Boing Boing has a chance to contact me before I fully disengage.

Thanks to Ken Snider, John Edward Campbell, Dean Putney, and Terry Thurlow for all the help you’ve given behind the scenes; thanks to Brandon West, Lea Franco, David Culberson for helping with links and tips and generally just being model community members. And of course thank you to the Offworld and BBG team of Brandon Boyer, Lisa Katayama, and Steven Leckart—if I can pat myself on the back for anything, it’s that I know how to hire people that are more talented than myself.

And thank you Xeni, Mark, David, and Cory—best job ever.

If you need to get ahold of me for anything, the information at the top of the someday-to-be-updated JoelJohnson.com is always current, and you can certainly follow me on Twitter. And I wouldn’t be surprised if I pop up now and again on Boing Boing, as well, if they’ll have me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Goodbye

1. Torchwood says:

This is Changing the face of BBG. along with the frickin’ background they installed.

Anyway good luck!

T

2. ddrdiva says:

I first came to BB when a friend alerted me that my Jeopardy! video was linked in your “25 Years of Exergaming” article. I’ve been hooked on this site ever since. Belated thanks and happy trails!

3. Chris Doyle says:

Good Luck…always enjoyed your writing and reviews!

4. Reed Savory says:

Well, I am seriously bummed-out about this, but I can’t fault someone for wanting to explore new opportunities.

Joel, thanks for letting me publish here on BBG now-and-then (as few and far between as my production of articles has been) – it was a lot of fun, and I really appreciate it.

BBG developed a unique voice under your leadership, and it was something I wanted to be a part of.

5. Greg says:

Stop making me read more and more websites! Stay still!

Good luck, Joel.

And fittingly, my captcha is “raping 30.” Nice.

6. Ito Kagehisa says:

Oh, sure, leave while I’m 600 miles away from my Internet feed. Bastard!

Thanks for bringing LK and Beschizzle onboard, and best of luck in the future, my friend.

Jeez, I take a weekend off sick and look at what happens. I’m never getting sick again.

I look forward to whatever you do next, and will be there bugging you. Thanks for getting BBG up and running as an awesome site.

8. adamrice says:

Can it be just a coincidence that this resignation is coming just a few days after Sarah Palin’s? I think not.

9. mazerrackham says:

you’d be much easier to stalk if you didn’t keep changing jobs

10. k386 says:

All the best! Thanks for your time and effort. Looking forward to what comes next.

11. Gareth Branwyn says:

I think you did a ridiculously great job, Joel. I’m bummed you’re leaving, but I’m sure whatever it is you’re on-to, it’ll be awesome. Don’t let the bastards wear you down…

12. lovemoose says:

Jeez Joel, I should really just copy & paste from the last time you moved on.

Good luck with your next endeavour; needless to say I’ll most likely follow you there too. Y’know, cuz I actually, kind of like you.

In a none-creepy no-sex purely-platonic man love way, of course.

By the way, any clues on what’s up next?

13. Clay says:

While I’ve long enjoyed the hip-kids style of Engadget and the rambunctious nature of Gizmodo, BBG’s understated, quirky vibe has always been in a category by itself. The culture you helped shape here certainly bears your imprint.

By the way, we’ll still see you in the Faucet now and then I hope?

14. Halloween Jack says:

I only yelled because I cared.

Good luck and don’t forget to write.

15. CoquiELF says:

First you guys redesign the site, and then you leave. Waaaa!

On a more serious note, have fun and thanks!

16. bazzargh says:

I just hope boingboing doesn’t say a fond farewell with a blooper reel including your “shaving malfunction”. Best of luck Joel.

17. Downpressor says:

was fun while it lasted, see you wherever you end up.

18. Jay says:

Booooo! Best of luck to you though!

19. Andy says:

Aw man, we’ll miss you Joel! Now that you’re out, I have to figure out how to take over your job… MUHAHAAHA!

20. Yes!! Have fun and good luck for your new after BBG life!!!

21. mr.skeleton says:

Dude! No! Well okay. Fare ye well, Mr. Johnson. Yours is a unique voice in a sea of… less interesting voices.

22. Deadmeat says:

Have fun with your future projects, Joel.

Thanks for all of your hard work, and good luck!

23. robzor says:

Dude, I think I have left possibly 2 comments, maybe 3 ever in the 5 years I’ve been reading BB, so please take this one to heart.

Don’t leave! Ok, if you must leave, at least contribute here and there, don’t totally hang up your hat, your gadget review/commentary is golden and will be sorely missed.

Ok, well, good luck with the new ventures.

Cheers,

Rob

24. Brandon West says:

Thanks for all your efforts over the last couple years, Joel. I’m going to miss the twisted brilliance in your posts. Best of luck on whatever projects you’re starting up.

25. TheResident says:

Good luck! Will be watching out for your next endeavor.

26. TJ S says:

I just literally read that whole post with my mouth agape. I’m excited and scared and sort of hopeful about what this might mean for my work productivity.

27. emyh says:

Probably my first comment ever on BBG, but I will miss your posts and commentary, Joel. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next!

28. Why do you always do this to me?!?

29. Joel I will continue to follow you no matter what. Thanks for your time here at Boing Boing! You are a great asset no matter where you go.

Loved your work here, sad to see you go. I hope you enjoy your future projects as much as we’ve enjoyed your writing.

31. chroma says:

How about telling us what you’re doing next?

32. grimc says:

Good luck, Joel. I’m still waiting for that post about the 2002 though…

33. clockbound says:

Wow, I can’t believe you’re moving on. Thanks for all the good times, and you’ll be missed!

34. Brant says:

Joel, I pretty much never comment here, but I just wanted to say that the main reason I actually bothered reading BBG when it launched (instead of mentally labeling it as Another Goddamn Gadget Blog and immediately binning it) was because I heard you were writing for it.

35. zikman says:

you will be missed good sir.

36. Chrs says:

Man, that’s more surprising than Palin. Hope you have better luck than her in your future endeavors!

37. HeatherB says:

You will be missed.

38. hokano says:

Hope you find my metaphorical farewell card in there.

Bon courage!

39. Rob Beschizza says:

All the best, Joel! It’s been a pleasure working with you.

40. craiig says:

I’ve been following you since your Gizmodo days, so while I’m sad to see you leave BBG, I know that you’ll show up somewhere else doing fantastic work. Cheers and good luck.

41. john Biggs says:

joel is pragnant with my babby

42. pointfour says:

Sad to see you go Joel, I’m a huge fan. Good luck in whatever you do next!

43. Alys says:

I’ll miss your writing here, but I wish you the best of luck in your new work :)

44. Amplifier says:

We’ll miss you here, but sure we’ll see you around. Have a good one mate.

45. KurtMac says:

My favorite BBTV episode ever is still the one with you testing gadgets in the wilderness, where you can never tell if the camcorder is recording, you get distracted by the moon and almost get killed by a rattlesnake.

“Thats Survivor Man shit right there!”

46. O_M says:

…Joel, two things:

1) You’ve been an excellent BB blogger/reporter/correspondent/whatever, and you will sorely be missed. Granted, there comes a time when you feel you must move on, but under no circumstances rule out coming back as a guest blogger. On a frequent basis, natch.

2) While you’re leaving, can you take Takuan with you? :-) :-) :-)

47. jakekingdead says:

Hate to see you go, but looking forward to what comes next.

Also, sorry for staring you down at blipfest last year. Just wasn’t sure if it was you or not. Then I don’t know what happened.

48. ScottMcG says:

Bye Joel, we’ll miss you here. Good luck with whatever the hell you think is so important ;-)

And keep enjoying Oregon, too. It’s a wonderful place.

49. cuchillo says:

Is very sad that you leave, this was my first Tech/gadgets site in bookmarks and reading a new post from you was always a surprise, BBG is a great team and will be in good hands. Good luck and we be tracking you on twitter.

50. icky2000 says:

OK so you’re leaving and I figured I’d want to hear about your next gig when it happens so I’d sign up for Twitter finally. I did. I’ve spent the last 15 minutes looking for a way to have tweets from people I’m following emailed to me. Apparently that’s not an option. I finally called a Twitter-using friend to ask about said feature and was told that I just don’t get it. I guess that’s true.

So um could you like just call me every few days and let me know what’s up? :)

Good luck Joel!

51. jakekingdead says:

Hate to see you go, but looking forward to what comes next.

Congrats on growing a brand that I thought was reaching critical mass, I loved being proven wrong daily by the great original content on both sites.

52. Ken Snider says:

Joel, it’s been a honour and a privilege. May you continue to find a way to “Tel it like it is”, in whatever you do.

Get your ass to Toronto someday again soon, hm?

–Ken.

53. Lonin says:

Aw damn. First Brownlee and now Joel. I can’t wait to see your projects in the future, if they are of the public consumption kind, of course. Good luck!

54. strider_mt2k says:

Joel, WTF man?

You will be missed, sir.

55. Dean Putney says:

It’s sad to see you go, but I’m really looking forward to whatever you cook up next. I have great confidence that it will be excellent. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to work for you.

56. ZubaZ says:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

57. J France says:

I read you at Giz and at Dethroner. And now here. I’m sad to see you go, but I figure as long as there is the internet, there will be Joel’s writing.

Good luck!

58. Galoot says:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force.

You’ll give us here an up to date list of your other projects so we can continue stalking you, I hope.

59. cha0tic says:

Farewell and good luck Mr Johnson. Let us know what you’re up to next.

60. tuckels says:

Good luck in all your future endeavors. You be missed.

61. therevengor says:

Thanks Joel! Infomerica!

62. TheFirstMan says:

He’s leaving?

Man, that guy is a total cock.

63. Jason Murphy says:

Best of luck to you Joel. I’ve followed your writings (I’m creepy) over the years and you always seem to 1UP your past. So I look forward to your next blog, which I assume will be all about robot sex.

PS – I’d comment on your posts more, but you keep calling me a total cock!

64. Lisa Katayama says:

Bye JJ! I’m sure we will run into each other and maybe even work together again. Thanks for bringing me on to this wonderful place that is BBG.

65. Barry says:

It’s been a long time since I last lost my mind with you in KC. Keep up the good work and good luck!

66. Mister N says:

I agree with #1…although the re-design was not for the best. I still don’t read BB Gadgets since the redesign.

Good luck in your endeavors Joel.

67. lolbrandon says:

Joel! I’m sad to hear you’re leaving the Gadgets — I always liked your humor and voice on the site. But it’s good to hear you’ve got some big plans, and I’m looking forward to seeing what you do in the future. Keep your Twitter feed updated, okay? Bye and take care!

68. Reuben says:

Goddammit, Joel. I’m getting tired of following you around the Internet.

69. CraziestGadgetsdotcom says:

best of luck joel.

70. PasteEater says:

Cheers Joel! It’s been a pleasure reading your posts over the years. Best of luck in your new venture!