Is A Knife-Less Leatherman Still a Leatherman?

Leatherman_knifeless_fuse_L.jpg

Leatherman’s Knifeless Fuse has pretty much everything you might need in a multi-tool:

Needlenose Pliers, Regular Pliers, Wire Cutters, Hard-wire Cutters, Wire Stripper, Small Screwdriver, Large Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver, Scissors, Wood/Metal File, Bottle, Opener, Can Opener, 8 in | 19 cm Ruler.

…except for a knife.

The tool is geared for people who work in airports, schools, and other places where larger blades aren’t allowed or are considered a “liability.” Yet, the thing’s still potentially-lethal and probably won’t get through TSA. So really, I don’t get it.

[via Toolmonger]

This entry was posted in knife, leatherman. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Is A Knife-Less Leatherman Still a Leatherman?

PrettyBoyTim, the original Leatherman tool was invented by Tim Leatherman as a toolset for repairing his bicycle whilst touring Europe. So you’re on pretty solid ground there.

2. josephlrc says:

There is no dealing with TSA, that said, the only thing that works for me is a large self addressed padded mailer with plenty of postage.

3. morkus says:

You can have my Skeletool when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

4. AusRob says:

the law in Australia makes it illegal to carry even a pocket knife in public, so i have been looking for a tool like this for ages. as a music techie im always using pliers, wire strippers and screwdrivers (not to mention the bottle opener) but almost never need a knife.
    i’ll be seeing if this is available next time im near my local hardware store.

5. Jane Kansas says:

I squealed like a pig when TSA took my $20 tweezers; who knows what might happen if they wanted to take this.

6. jhoug says:

While I love my Wave, sometimes having the pliers and the screwdriver on the same tool sucks. I frequently want to hold something with the pliers to stabilize while I use the knife. The same problem with pliers/screwdriver. There is a limit to the amount of stuff I can carry in pockets or on my belt (and I’ve already exceeded it). A thin knife/screwdriver-bit-holder for the Leatherman bits would be a welcome addition.

7. Greg says:

Here’s a thought : Maybe the TSA should clearly communicate their restrictions so we don’t feel compelled to innovate around the whims of airport screeners that don’t know what the hell they’re doing.

8. nixiebunny says:

It makes perfect sense to me. But I carry a pocket Leatherman Mini-Tool (the original extra-small folding pliers), a Swiss Army Executive knife, and a pocket 4-in-1 screwdriver in my pocket at all times, along with a big keyring and a bunch of change for the Coke machine. Yes, I rattle a bit.

The Swiss Army Knife is a better knife than the Leatherman, and the pocket screwdriver is a much better screwdriver than either the Leatherman or the Swiss Army knife. And the Leatherman is a better pair of pliers than just about anything that will fit in your pocket.

So… each tool is best for its job, and they all get used regularly.

9. Severn Clay says:

Last I checked (or got checked, actually), all tools are banned in carry-on. I tried to argue with the TSA agent about a set of Allen keys and a 6″ crescent wrench, but ended up losing them both.

10. JHY says:

I’ve actually been wanting something like this for a long time. I’ve never really liked using a multi-tool’s knife, it just feels strange in my hand and I don’t like cutting with it. I always carry a folding pocket knife on me anyways, so this is perfect for me.

11. Joe MommaSan says:

Like most encounters with government entities, your results will be a complete and total crapshoot depending on such factors as the mood of the TSA flunky, what he or she had for breakfast, and whether they got laid last night.

I once made it though O’Hare with a standard Leatherman multi-tool inside another toolkit. (it was underneath the plastic tray that held all the bits and sockets)

But I sure wouldn’t recommend counting on the same happening for you. Enough people get stuff confiscated that there’s a regular cottage industry on Ebay reselling seized items, as well as franchises which specialize in shipping your soon-to-be-nabbed items back home. (at absolutely outrageous markups)

12. MB says:

For travel, I very much recommend the Swiss+Tech “multi-tool key” – http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=VZ75GDTdP68A Short blade, screwdriver tips, bottle opener, etc., all in something that looks just like a key when it’s closed. As handy as a Leatherman? No. But you’ll not have to worry about TSA hassling you for it (mine has passed through security around the world, scores and scores of times). And, on the very off chance that they do? It’s $10. Keep it, you nitwits.

13. strider_mt2k says:

It’s unfortunate that adults can’t be trusted with tools in public.

WTF man?

14. c says:

That would be Leathereunuch not leathergirl…

15. morcheeba says:

Prettyboytim – wow, that’s absurd! Locking blades on pocketknives make them 100x safer… innocent people will literally bleed because of that ruling.

I love a lot of the UK, but god, I hope the US doesn’t follow suit on knife restrictions & privacy issues.

16. PaulR says:

Since we’re comparing knives:

I once traded a couple of hours of computer consulting and a CMOS backup battery for one of these babies:
    but with the large belt/pouch (They don’t make it anymore) with all the stuff the ‘Traveller Plus’ set has plus honing stone, fishing line, note pad, signaling mirror, sewing kit, pencil, whistle, band-aid, string, safety pins, fishing line and hooks and weights, extra toothpicks, razor blade, matches, and … a comb!

17. PrettyBoyTim says:

I think it’s a version of the tool designed to be *definitely legal* in the UK to carry in public.

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 in the UK states: “It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches.”

I have the version of that Leatherman with a blade and it’s 3 inches long. However, it’s a locking blade, and a 2004 Crown Court case ruled that a locking blade was for all intents and purposes equivalent to a fixed blade knife. For the knife to be counted as a folding pocket knife, the blade must me foldable at all times with no form of locking mechanism.

I keep my Leatherman in my bike pannier at pretty much all times. I guess if it was searched by a police office they might be able to argue that I was breaking the law. I would argue that I have ‘good reason’ to carry it as it has been useful several times on my bike when things have got caught in the rear gears. However, you can see how some people would like to be able to carry a Leatherman without having to worry about a court’s interpretation of ‘good reason’.

18. Halloween Jack says:

more like a leathergirl than a leatherman.

You say that like “leathergirl” is some sort of bad thing.

19. chetfarmer says:

Actually, Steve, you’re wrong about the TSA issue. I’ve had one of these since January, and I fly with it in my carryon twice a week. When they see it — about 30% of the time — they obviously want to inspect it (closed, it looks like a regular Leatherman) but once they see it has no knife, it’s all good.

If you’re a frequent carry-on traveler, it’s a great thing to keep around.

20. chetfarmer says:

Oh, and @Severn Clay, no, all tools aren’t banned. Just tools a certain length, or things that are sharp.

21. CraziestGadgetsdotcom says:

no knife? more like a leathergirl than a leatherman. it’s neutered.