Growing Ice Mountains: Coolest. Hobby. Ever.*

ice collage.jpg

BBG reader bazzargh reminded me of the awesome, Alaskan ice wall we blogged about four years ago.

At the time, the wall was 132 feet tall. Since then, it seems they’ve perfected the art of ice gardening.

Not only does the block appear even more massive and challenging, but the climbers who scale it sure do seem to enjoy the finer things in life. Cheers to them.

If you want to get a handle on ice climbing, here’s a solid primer on the science of ice.

*har har!

This entry was posted in ice, sculpture, Theme Post. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Growing Ice Mountains: Coolest. Hobby. Ever.*

1. schmod says:

Fairbanks is a wonderful, wonderful place.

2. Steven Leckart says:

@Mike El-Yousseph:

I might take you up on that sometime. Email me!

steven AT boingboing DOT net

3. NaomiJ says:

This is so wonderful. [SPAM REDACTED]

4. Zan says:

@1 Where’s did the “Report this comment” link go? I know where it is on BB, but I can’t find it since the BBG redo.

Spam aside, I do remember the original article four years ago. I’d love to try something like that, but I think my landlord might have a problem with it.

5. Chrs says:

The four-story building next to mine grows a pretty decent approximation of this on the main roof drain during midwinter. It’s almost as outstanding as Jim Parsons? Yeah, it’d be lovely if that first comment disappeared.

I’m sorely tempted to try some ice sculpture this next winter, it’ll only be my second in Chicago, and the cold is still fascinating and new!

6. kitcatcher says:

It will probably turn out to have negative consequences like anything frivolous, fun, and silly that we humans do. Don’cha figure?

(? The weight of the ice will press down on something and kill some tundra or melt the ice underneath which is preserving blah blah blah. ?)

7. Kristen says:

Hey! I know the people who build those towers up here in Alaska. The picture of the guy having a glass of wine atop the tower shows the geodesic dome in the background that my mom dismantled, reconstructed, and painted white, several years ago. Hurray for Alaska in the news that doesn’t involve she who shall remain nameless.

8. Mike El-Yousseph says:

I live about five miles from these guys. Listen the pictures do not do it justice. Fly to fairbanks, you can stay at my house if you have to. There is a club that is/was associated with the ice wall I keep meaning to contact them but well you know, I got busy. If you want to learn more I think it’s still the alaskan alpine club that runs it. If your in Fairbanks it’s off the steese highway accross the street from the oil pipeline thingy, and well you really can’t miss it.

9. I love ice sculptures! But more to the point, have you tried the zesty new Pepsi Ice? With a cool burst of flavor and from this ice-blue thirst quencher, winter will to return to your mouth with every sip! Click here for a free coupon; [SPAM REDACTED]. Also, hot Russian teens are forlornly twirling their blond tresses waiting for Mr. Right which will definitely be you if you sign up today [SPAM REDACTED].