Hillcrest Labs’ Loop Pointer is a wireless pointing device that works with PC, Mac and Playstation 3. You hold it in your hand and wave it about, like a Wiimote.
Placed so they can be hit with the thumb, the $100 Loop Pointer has a two mouse buttons, a scroll wheel, and a “mute” button so that you can lay it down without moving the pointer. It comes with a 30-ft RF dongle that plugs into a USB port, and requires two AA batteries. Thoughts follow.
• It looks like a sci-fi ray gun. Pew pew! It’s a little smaller than a CD, and weighs about the same as a large mouse.
• It requires no fancy software: plug it in on PC or Mac and it just works. Thank you.
• If you’re used to the Wiimote, you’ll find tracking very smooth and accurate. Hitting specific points isn’t too hard, but you won’t be whipping across-screen to precise points like you can with a mouse.
• There’s a small “dead zone” to ignore hand tremors.
• Though it’s fun to play casual shooting games with it, that’s probably the only gaming it’s good for.
• You can also get it running with AppleTV and Kodak home theaters players.