Bangkok’s tallest building will add “pixels” to the cityscape

mahanakhon 1_451x329x90.jpg

Construction on Bangkok’s tallest high-rise begins this fall, with completion slated for 2012. As you can see in the mock-up above, the building will have “pixels” &mdash imperfections in its otherwise glossy facade that are actually staggered windows and terraces belonging to the Ritz Carlton Residences and other fancy occupants of the 77-story, 1,017-foot tall building.

mahanakhon 3_451x329x90.jpg

[via OMA]

Images: Office of Metropolitan Architecture

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Bangkok’s tallest building will add “pixels” to the cityscape

1. themark says:

Whatever happened to beauty and symmetry? Now replaced with shock and novelty.

2. Brian Thomas says:

It will never be finished… like most construction projects in Bangkok, overwraught with fraud, scandal, malpractice, police corruption and bribery.

-B.

it looks like the trade center as it started to collapse

4. Marshall says:

This will blend right in with Bangkok’s uncompleted and graffiti covered ghost high rises. Looks fabulous.

5. Eutactic says:

@ #6: Nope, I immediately thought Melding Plague as well. Tiny copies of the building growing out of the top would seal the deal.

6. Phikus says:

Looks more like it has been chewed on / has been deteriorating. Is it just me or does it kinda look like it could topple over from stress? (Yes, I also look like I could topple over from stress, but that is beside the point.)

7. dmoisan says:

The SF story “Peaches for Mad Molly” comes immediately to mind here.

First thing I thought of was WTC also. just a large, otherwise smooth building with scarring on it.

9. misterfricative says:

It’s an interesting idea, and it reminds me of those old European fake ruins known as ‘follies’, but what does it have to do with ‘pixels’?

And do they realize it does indeed look like the trade center as it started to collapse? This really is in appallingly bad taste.

They just need a giant beaver clutching the thing.

11. Fencesitter says:

It seems to me that all those corners would cause a lot of vortices (vortexes?) and associated wind noise.

almost direct ripoff of a Daniel Libeskind project going up in Manhattan. ha!

13. Pusher says:

Am I the only one who sees this and thinks, “Melding Plague”?

14. Michael says:

Looks like they’ve taken a selection and greebled it.

15. xaxa says:

Another pixely one is the one for Leicester (UK) here: http://www.kitsimons.com/journal/aspirational-structures-skyscrapers-planned-in-the-uk (but I’m not sure if it’s still going to be built)

16. memoi2001 says:

actually the first thing that pop in to my head was: “Gojira was here”

Am I the only one who is reminded of 9/11? The pixilated sections make it look like an airplane has hit the building at an angle.

Doesn’t look at all like the WTC before, during, or after collapse.

doesn’t look a thing like WTC. get the fuck over yourselves.

20. klek says:

Looks like it is disintegrating, post-apocalypse.
    Shades of the 1930’s Germany idea of buildings designed to become beautiful ruins.

21. Gill Avila says:

I’m sure it will give visiting New Yorkers flashbacks.

22. Hanglyman says:

It doesn’t look all that impressive from a distance, but I think the up close shot is beautiful. Looks like something from an old sci-fi magazine.

23. mdh says:

and it spirals up the outside, nice.

24. Haro! says:

That reminds me of another OMA, Koolhaas if I remember correctly, work that is (was?) going up in Manhattan on E22nd St. Looks like the folks at OMA are all on the same page, and I mean that in a good way.