Famous Joy Division LP Cover Visualized

whAF3cIHMqgxnt5jfHTQ2IQlo1_500.jpg

Ever wondered what it’d be like to see the wave on Peter Saville’s iconic cover for Unknown Pleasures actually SOUNDS like come alive?

Well, here ya go.

Better yet: The code’s available here, if you want to play with it yourself.

[veer via knick/knack via Jay Parkinson]

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Famous Joy Division LP Cover Visualized

Yeah, well I’ve got Joy Division oven gloves.

2. wmbozarth says:

Gosh I sure do love Joy Division. This video of a steel drum band playing Transmission has been floating around recently. It’s so joyous!

3. wmbozarth says:

Steel Drum band playing Transmission

4. nixiebunny says:

One day I got bored and walked over to the science library to dig out the Oxford Dictionary of Astronomy or whatever they call that tome that contains the original of this image that Peter Saville copied and pasted onto the album jacket. I xeroxed it but never got it made into a T-shirt.

I’m sure the guys from whatever conglomerate owns the Joy Division catalog these days (I refuse to even find out which it is) would be happy to sue me for copyright infringement if I did get the shirt made, though.

The funny thing is, I was working on designing a pulsar detection computer at the time. (It’s my job, man.)

5. cyklo says:

This is a visualizer in the style of the album cover — the actual waveform on the album is that of the first pulsar ever recorded, PSR B1919+21.

6. sworm says:

Brilliant.

7. Steven Leckart says:

@cyklo:

Ah right… post clarified, thanks.

just to further clarify, at the time of release the pulsar was known as CP 1919…

; )