“Twist it, roll it, fold it, soak it.” *UPDATED*

AKB-230.jpg

Adesso’s rugged, silicone keyboard is mega-bendable, and totally water- and dust-proof.

Specs:

*Connectivity: IBM AT, USB & PS/2 compatible
*Compatible with Windows Vista, XP, 2000, ME, 98SE
*LED lights for Num-Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
*Key Layout: 109 Keys
*Dimensions: 17.5″ x 5″ x 0.5″ (LxWxH)
*Weight: 0.6 lb
*Temperature Range: 32°F to 175°F
*Easy connection to USB and PS/2 ports.

Only $23.

UPDATE: BBG readers have spoken. According to you, this keyboard is a piece of junk.

[via Toolmonger]

This entry was posted in keyboard and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to “Twist it, roll it, fold it, soak it.” *UPDATED*

1. HostWisely says:

This is really a very interesting keyboard.
    This seem that this can be use anywhere and anytime.
    This is a cool device.

Web Hosting Reviews

2. phisrow says:

Those silicone keyboards(available under a large number of brand names, all pretty similar) are quite handy for hostile environments, and one or two factors of ten cheaper than the stainless steel hostile environment setups; but their keyfeel is horrific. Squishy, inconsistent, the keycap sort of twists and wobbles under your finger, I’d rather type on a dollar-store plastic one.

They have their uses; but not a good general purpose peripheral(a basic plastic model that costs half as much will feel a lot nicer, and rolling it up and shoving it in your laptop bag is pointless when pretty much any laptop keyboard out there, even the horrible ones, will be nicer to type on).

3. Hanglyman says:

I bought one of these, and like many have said, it’s horrible. Getting it to register when you hit a key is always chancy- unless you hit the key dead center, it might just flop to the side and not respond, and it’s very hard to type without the feel of the keys clicking. Plus, mine was white and in less than a year it’s yellowed to an ugly, dirty looking shade. I’m really surprised to see one of these here… I don’t think I’m going to be able to GIVE mine away.

4. It is a piece of crap indeed. But I made an analogic USB joypad out of its innards, so it had a purpose for me after all. Cutting through the soft plastic with my Xacto knife was like rippin’ open a corpse so it’s been a great experience.

5. Chris S says:

I had one of these for the computer built into my Tiki Bar since there are so many liquids around, but I soon threw it out. This thing is painfully awful to type on. I’d rather use a mouse and on-screen keyboard than type on this thing.

6. giantnegro says:

I bought one of these when the “8 i k” row of buttons stopped working on an old laptop. I actually found it was easier to just keep “8 i k” in the clipboard, paste the three characters and delete the unwanted ones when needed than it was to use this keyboard. I hated the flexy keyboard so much.

Also, the rubbery finish actually collects dust and pet hair.

7. teamshadowboat says:

I have one of those. It’s terrible. I tried to use it once when I was setting up a machine because I had no other keyboard and I couldn’t even enter a password to boot … just gave up. Like PHISROW says, the keys just wiggle around under your fingers.

8. mathew says:

Not only is the feel terrible, but the keystroke detection is unreliable, and it doesn’t take long for some of the keys to stop working entirely.

9. HeatherB says:

Technology…technology

10. relawson says:

yea… I have one, too. It keeps my shelf dust-proof as well!

btw, every comment about it here is true.

11. kirk says:

but is it lotion proof?

i’m just askin’. don’t act like you haven’t thought it! :)

12. Brian Copeland says:

At that price, it was a whim purchase.

My goal was to have a keyboard I could roll up and take with me. Yes, the keyboard rolls; no, it probably shouldn’t. Granted, I haven’t actually broken the keyboard rolling it, but it felt like I was going to.

Plus, the thing doesn’t roll up tightly at all. Because it will constantly try to unroll, it becomes very thick and actually ended up taking up more space in my bag than my netbook.

Finally, just to reiterate for a third time, key feel is awful. It almost doesn’t allow you to type in any regular way. You need to peck with one finger straight down.

Still, at that price, I hardly regret it. It’s a stupid, fun thing to have in the place. I’m sure someday, when I’m living underwater in a futuristic society, I’ll feel smug knowing I was ready. ARE YOU???

13. IWood says:

Technologic.

Technologic.

Technologic.

Technologic.

14. KitWorks says:

Yes! It makes me so happy to see that update, because that is exactly what I would say about it too: horrible!

15. victorian_nonvictorian says:

For healthcare systems , the fact that its hermetically sealed would be extremely advantagous. I can imagine throwing the keyboard in the wash ……

Staples occasionally sells these under their own brand name. I purchased two for my boys (age 5 & 7) six months ago, and sorry to say they just don’t hold-up to usage for very long.

Yes, as every above says, the key feel is horrible – it’s absolutely impossible to touch-type on them.

But the biggest complaint is the quality of them – after only a few months of VERY OCCASIONAL use (my kids use their PCs about once every two weeks), the rubber covering several of the keys is separating, exposing the circuitry underneath. They’re both at the point that the whole ‘waterproof’ thing is shot-to-hell I’m sure.

Bottom-line, I wouldn’t waste my money. I certainly won’t be buying them again.

17. Bucket says:

I had a 40% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond, and they had these for $15.

For about $10, it was, well, still not worth it.

And they key markings wear off really quickly, faster if you clean it off with something like 409 or Simple Green.

18. gwax says:

I own one of these as well and, in addition to mirroring all of the negative comments thus far, I would like to add that these keyboards absolutely ruin typing speed. I type over 60WPM on a standard keyboard but the degree of deliberateness required to ensure that I’ve hit a key on these silicone keyboards is such that I can’t type more than about 20WPM on them.

Absolutely horrible; would not buy again, even if it were <$10.