Behold! Slim PS3

ps3-slim-big-1.jpg

Sony unveils slimmer PS3: $300, lands in September [Engadget]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Behold! Slim PS3

1. Atrythament says:

Just bought one. HOLY HELL! Reminds me of the good ol’ days with the PS2 Slim. And it runs quiet, and no, it does not over-heat. It’s very, very *cool. MWUAHAHAH! To all the nay sayers

2. RedShirt77 says:

I would also worry about the heat issue with regards to a slimmer casing. I doubt many of the components are shrinking, just airspace and ventilation. Given that my current PS3 can cook an egg after about an hour and a half, I am bot sure sealing it in a smaller box will make life better.

3. Clay says:

Redshirt is right; all PS3s have software PS1 compatibility. The PS1 “fits” more easily into the Cell architecture for emulation, while the PS2 hardware is very different from how the PS3 is laid out, making it extremely difficult to find analogs for everything. My guess, though, is that Sony is working on a middleware to eventually “soft-port” PS2 games to the PS3 for release on PSN.

The only dumb move I see here is that they cut the price on the existing 80 gig on the very same day they announced a shiny new (er, matte-new) slim version that would come out in only two weeks at exactly the same price point.

Having blithely invoked the Osborne effect, this should result in two weeks of approximately zero PS3 sales.

4. BastardNamban says:

What I want to know is, will this be in one version only, and will it FINALLY be backwards compatible with PS2 & PS1 games? I would buy one in a heartbeat, Sony, if you would just get off your asses and put that kind of basic functionality in a PS3! Otherwise, it’s a 300$ slim hunk of crap.

I never bought a PS3 even though I desperately wanted one not because of money, but because I couldn’t play Tenchu, MGS, and a ton of amazing games from the PS1 on it.

Sony, if anyone at your company actually reads what people think of you, and you really care about gaming, MAKE A BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE PS3- one that works with PS1 & PS2 games. You will sell out, quickly- that’s the main gripe people have had for YEARS with this.

Want to kill XBOX? Make this PS3 totally backwards compatible. None of this multiple versions shite. You are not Microsoft- don’t mirror their stupidity any more than you already have. Give the gamers what they want already!

5. Fang Xianfu says:

#6 – power consumption is down in addition to size and weight. Hopefully that’ll help to balance that out a bit, but I feel your pain :(

It’s obvious that Sony is going to be getting enough money for the PS3 slim and the line up of games coming in the next few months.

Why would they release PS2 BC when they already will be making money from these things? That’s not how business works geniuses.

7. phisrow says:

@#1: I’m guessing no. On the plus side, you could always buy a PS2/PS1 compatibility module with the hundred bucks cut from the price.

On the minus side, support for linux has been brutally axed.

8. mrjohnc says:

Bloody dreadful

Why on earth did they remove the install OS feature.

I’m organising a PS3 Linux cluster for my university. What a shame we can’t have a smaller, lower power version.

Dear Sony

Way to go alienating the nerds, the people who create the hype and generate sales and get the most out of your products

Thanks a bunch, idiots

9. Sean Eric FAgan says:

The original PS3 models had PS2 compatibility. I bought the last model that had hardware compatibility; after that, it was software-only. And then they axed that, although I still have no idea why.

They axed it because people didn’t actually care about playing 10 year old games on their shiny new console. The more popular games are available as a download and that’s enough for most people. (ie, I have R-Type and Rampart downloaded onto my PS3.)

Since the initial units were fully PS2 compatible and still sold like crap, I doubt it would help their sales any at this point.

11. RedShirt77 says:

All PS3’s should be PS1 Compatible. THe graphics card on the PS2 is aparently difficult to reproduce without hardware, meaning they had to put a chip and having two graphics chips was a cost issue.

Tenchu rocks. I still have some levels I buils for Tenchu 2 that I think about going back to play. It was one of the most fun level design options I ever did. If only there had been a LBP like online community to share those.

12. I think the reason behind Sony now not making consoles backwards compatibility is because they can make so much more money from PS3 games than they can PS2 Games! People don’t complain about the xbox 360 only having limited compatibility so why complain at Sony?

13. Christopher says:

Downside – no linux support.
    Upside – the above may convince some linux hackers to finally hack the thing just to get linux running on it :))

One of the reasons Sony doesn’t utilize backward compadibility is because they produce consoles and games for 10 years, (or somewhere around there). If you look around for ps2 release dates, you’ll find there are still ps2 games coming out.