Last Polaroid film kits head to Urban Outfitters

polaroid_one600.jpg

20th century institutions die not with a bang, but as fashion accessories for hip kids. [Dazed Digital]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Last Polaroid film kits head to Urban Outfitters

1. runwithskizzers says:

This whole getting rid of polaroid film thing really sucks. I got a pink & gray polaroid camera for my 9th birthday – it still works and i’ve kept it with with me every time I moved. I almost want to buy a shit ton of film, and just keep using my 16 year old camera.

Urban Outfitters is to hip what Hot Topic is to goth.

3. MadMolecule says:

Some Austrian guy has licensed the technology and is planning to sell Polaroid film by December. At $30 for a 12-shot pack. Speaking of Lomos…

4. Sweater Meat says:

I now what your saying…did you ever fart so hard you ended up in another zip code?

5. RDOT says:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha. Jesus. Or you could buy exactly the same camera for less than 10 bucks on ebay.

6. HeatherB says:

While working in casting for Dreamworks last year I remember our casting director not wanting to believe me that polaroid was finishing up. Even in this digital world, casting directors still love it.

7. joe says:

I think anyone wanting polaroid film should be excited about http://www.theimpossibleproject.com

8. acb says:

By the time it shows up in Urban Outfitters, the hip kids have moved on. Urban Outfitters channels their hand-me-downs to suburban teenagers and wannabe hipsters (and, apprently, channels part of the proceeds to the Republican Party).

9. univac says:

doesn’t the logo on that pack of film look kinda like MSoft’s new Windows store logo?

10. martyingels says:

I say the hell with Polaroid. They friggin abandon us. Fuji, on the other hand, still makes an instant camera and film. Let’s support them!

11. Clay says:

Oh, mark my words, this is not the death of Polaroid instants.

This is the beginning of a hibernation lasting probably about a decade.

In 2019, when everyone’s cell phone shoots 1080p, the iPhone has licensed RED Digital Cinema technology, and the few print magazines still in production occasionally feature ads with built-in cameras, the time for the Polaroid’s return will be nigh.

It’ll be back like freakin’ Lomos.

However, you’ll still buy it in an Urban Outfitters.