“This Is Going To Be Such A Rad Tweet…”

2085572935_73d050534b.jpg
This entry was posted in apple, Sex and Relationships and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to “This Is Going To Be Such A Rad Tweet…”

1. AirPillo says:

JJasper, Here’s a good litmus test. How would you feel about this if it was two men having sex?

Also, just because a group of people seems stalwartly opposed to your indictments, that doesn’t mean those notions are correct and that you’re some sort of beacon in the darkness of a hostile and ignorant group. That’s actually a very arrogant sort of idea to foster.

Please focus on resolving your own shortcomings before lecturing people about theirs. If your rebukes are hollow it makes the effort doubly inappropriate.

2. strider_mt2k says:

It will when the bra comes off.

No half measures my dear, no half measures…

3. soar says:

Seriously, how is this sexist? You must be stupid.

4. jjasper says:

1 & 2 ) Well then, that makes everything OK? Nope.

3) Something can be sexist *and* parody. But if it was parodying anything other than sexism, it’s still sexist. if it was parodying sexism, it’s about the worst parody I’ve ever seen.

This happens *every time* I or anyone else points out sexism on BB, or BBG, BTW. Someone inevitably denies it’s sexist no matter what the thing is. No matter what the case, someone always denies it’s sexist.

*sigh*

5. EYEBEAM says:

It’s because you’re tedious and boring, dear JJasper. Haven’t you got the memo? Women can enjoy sex, and often do.

6. remmelt says:

Or perhaps people aren’t as touchy when it comes to the subject of sex?

I see this picture and think: haha look what a dork, he’d rather post to twitter than enjoy his bed-time.

7. Steven Leckart says:

A photo of a dude on his laptop during intercourse isn’t inherently sexist, imho.

Context is what makes it sexist — i.e. saying “This is how we think all women should be treated” or “If not for this, then to the kitchen with ye” is very sexist and, imho, wrong.

In this case, I believe the photo and BBG’s caption critiques the intense engagement and commitment to online life and connectivity of the times.

I’d easily post a photo of a woman on a laptop during intercourse if there were one handy.

Also, please see Lisa’s column:

“The case against iPhones in the bedroom”

I agree with the sentiment that for one to maintain a level of intimacy with one’s partner, that means negating tech/gadgetry — both women and men alike, heterosexual and homosexual alike.

8. Maarten Delforge says:

@ #5: “The photo is sexist because it shows the woman as an object. It reduces her to a sexual plaything, as it shows the man disengaged from her and engaged with his computer.”

If anything, it’s the man that’s being reduced to an object/sexual plaything, and not the woman

9. Brandon West says:

Sexist my foot… the man is even being the submissive one in this case.

10. Eric says:

Ryan and Veronica? Say it ain’t so.

11. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

I only think it’s sexist because she isn’t tweeting too, but rather looking at a really boring wall and women shouldn’t have to wear heels.

Actually, I didn’t think it was necessarily sexist. I’m a woman and I consider myself a feminist, and not just a liberal feminist but a radical feminist, but not a separatist. I just don’t think that any picture of a man and a woman in a sexual situation wherein the guy isn’t staring puppy-eyed into the woman’s eyes is necessarily sexist. I’ve had loving passionate sex in all kinds of ways! Maybe they wanted to try this? It seems kind of American to think that any picture of people having sex has to be a representation of trauma and exploitation.

Maybe the guy is looking up how to please her!

12. scaught says:

Those who think this is sexist also think it’s impossible for women to enjoy JUST sex, and that somehow this man should be doing more for her.

13. kerry says:

@DCulberson:
    First wave feminist = Susan B. Anthony. I think you mean 2nd wave feminist.

As for the image, it’s only sexist if you presume the woman isn’t an active participant, but instead a brainless object. So, it’s only as sexist as you make it. If you think it’s too offensive for your eyes, move on to the next post. Certainly nothing worth freaking out about in the comments.

14. I read the some of the sexism posts as witty sarcasm.

Two observations:

1. It could have gone the other way, she texting when he was “in charge”, would there have been cries of sexism?

2. It’s a joke and could someone explain exactly what is sexist other than the jokes based on sex. Don’t bring the woman as an object thing, because well in hetero sex a woman is the object during the practice so not a good argument.

15. retrojoe says:

Did anyone ask her if she was being demeaned? Are we assuming that this behavior isn’t consensual? How anyone could see the image and immediately declare it sexist is beyond me. This pretty much sums up “going off half cocked”.

16. Wordguy says:

Fake! You can tell by the shadows.

17. John says:

The sad thing is that I know people who have done this while looking at 4chan…

18. infinity says:

you’re kidding me right? color me disappointed in my male colleagues.

Jjasper, I think it happens “every time” because it’s always off base and a first wave feminist “sexy is sexist” reaction.

Secret_Life_of_Plants: The Puritans sure did a number on us Americans, didn’t they?

20. Rob Beschizza says:

JJAsper, why is this sexist? It looks like you’re being oppositional for no good reason: making a rather adversarial claim, then getting frustrated when asked to back it up.

I don’t think this is sexist, I think it’s empowering to women.. It shows they can take charge sexually and get what they want.. I think this is a lot more positive than say, a guy nailing a girl who is uninterested or against her will etc.

22. Rob Beschizza says:

“It depicts the woman as a stereotypical “whore.”"

What? Good lord, some of our readers need to go out and play.

She’s watching reality TV.

24. jjasper says:

@ # 2 – This is pretty much standard for BB Gadgets. Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff SEXIST STUFF Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff Cool tech stuff…

25. strider_mt2k says:

To my own defense, when I ask my wife to wear those kind of heels or she puts them on herself she really spends so very little time standing in them as to be almost completely unaffected by the posture concerns.

26. Shannon H says:

How do you know that the woman isn’t in on the whole thing, or that it wasn’t her idea? “Hey baby, you know what would be funny, you should update your twitter that we’re having sex right now!” How do you know that allowing the whole world to be in on their sex act wasn’t a HUGE turn-on for her, or both of them? — How do you know he wasn’t lying there on his computer and she decided to climb on and have some fun? Maybe she’s using him as an object? — People who go around calling everything sexist are, in my opinion, even more annoying than those going around calling everything racist.. and I’m a girl – Learn to take a joke and GET A LIFE!

27. Steven Leckart says:

1) BBG didn’t create the image.
    2) BBG put the headline in quotes for a reason.
    3) Please explain how/why this is sexist and not, say, parody.

28. Rob Beschizza says:

For background, JJasper illustrates his views on sexism in this thread: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/04/21/music-video-oiled-up.html#comments .

The most coherent argument offered was that “bodies being portrayed sexually,” for titillation without further meaning, is sexist.

When asked to explain why he thought the given example was sexist, JJasper instead explained at length the terms and conditions of discussing sexism with JJasper, and said he did not understand the question. In fact, as you’ll see in the thread, he was quite studious about avoiding it — to the point of claiming, seemingly, that it is others’ responsibility to argue why something *isn’t* sexist after he has endeavored to declare it so.

This isn’t sexist. What else are you to do when situations like that arise?

30. Stu Mark says:

The photo is sexist because it shows the woman as an object. It reduces her to a sexual plaything, as it shows the man disengaged from her and engaged with his computer. It depicts the woman as a stereotypical “whore.” – It’s not as if the photo shows two people equally disengaged in the act. If she had an iPhone in her hand, tweeting about her experience, then the sexism is removed. But the photo, as is, shows a still prevalent depiction of woman as object.

31. MjMo says:

The claim of sexism in the genuine absence of sexism is itself sexist, methinks. I would advise never to make such claims.

32. mark b says:

Funny, but I immediately took it as a swipe at techno culture sucking the soul and meaning out of what should be a beautiful and transcendent moment–total waste of a really hot reverse cowgirl, with who looks to be really hot cowgirl.

Either that, or the dude is her research assistant and she’s dictating her findings.

33. Kevin Xu says:

Great imagination huh?

34. ic says:

If we really want to move beyond the whole sexist thing – how about some pictures of cute boys? In black vinyl hot pants? I’m not asking for much, I don’t think…

35. maevele says:

and we wonder why women don’t participate more in geekdom

JJASPER, you never get tired of projecting sexism on others, do you? It’s tiresome.

Yea, verily, I say unto thee, my brother; remove the beam from thine own eye.