Solar trees forecast a future where gadgets are charged on beaches

solar_tree5.jpg

If our gadget dependency continues to worsen, this could be what our beaches will look like.

[via Yanko Design]

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Solar trees forecast a future where gadgets are charged on beaches

To me this just looks like a great way to advertise where you are keeping your valuable electonics. Why not have a solar-powered charging lockers at the beach?

Neat, a new high tech way to make trips to the beach less fun, relaxing, and beautiful!

3. tom rand says:

hehe i like the idea of these but the look like something from the telly tubbies!

4. Enochrewt says:

Remember those old magazine ads for the Charles Atlas system? It’s a whole new generation of nerds getting sand kicked in their faces. I don’t care it it’s “Green Energy”, what’s even greener if those things aren’t there at all.

Ok, I might be a little pissed right now, some scrub just tried to steal my soda. Still, I’ll avoid a beach that has those things on them, because they imply that a person can’t relax there.

5. gabrielm says:

Are you implying that I am addicted: http://twitpic.com/byioy ?

6. nixiebunny says:

Burning Man is already there!

Also, next to our camp was a giant sunflower made from six 10 watt solar panels. It was beautiful, in a highly technical way.

7. RedShirt77 says:

Isn’t the beach just going to be the place where we all go to get cancer without the trouble of smoking in the future?

If only the designers had heard of beach umbrellas before embarking on this project they might have come up with something that you might actually be prepared to carry to the beach, and itnwould have enough juice to power a refrigerator. Oh well…

9. winspire says:

It does look to be going that way, and while the beach looks a little funny (At least where the humans are), at least it’s clean energy which would be far better to recharge the gadgets and cell phones with.

Speaking of cell phone users, there is a new way that will allow one to tap into that market- which is bigger than the Internet. This is going to be HUGE.

10. gabrielm says:

@winspire,
    “…bigger than the Internet”

My guess is that your link leads to a legitimate, useful resource related directly to this post.

11. Trent Hawkins says:

Salt Water and Electrical appliances, together at last!