It could take more than 20 hours to perform an upgrade installation of Windows 7. But for most, it’ll take about two or three. [Chris Hernandez]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Short. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to

1. daniel.dee says:

No, the amount of time this will take out of my life will be zero.

Seems odd that the amount of data files would affect the upgrade time. What, does it need to play each movie through to make sure it’s non-infringing?

(And if the data files don’t affect the upgrade time, why mention them?)

3. Agies says:

I imagine the Win 7 install shuffles some data around to try and install in a contiguous area. Plus it probably re-indexes any indexed folders and most likely rebuilds the user directories where data files are often stored these days.

4. roguecnidarian says:

Do they assume Powerusers will not have a “low-end” system? And since when is a 64-bit processor “low-end”? (Says me, who still thinks his G5 PowerMac is a fast thing). And what, exactly, is x64? Is this a new architecture? The only current 64-bit processor architecture I know of is x86-I64.

I mourn the passing of the RISC PowerPC age more every day.

5. Alan says:

Upgrading from Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) took 45 minutes.

Just saying.

6. Agies says:

@3 So did installing Service Pack 1. Heyo!

7. stjarna says:

The upgrade took about 90 minutes for me on two different machines (I’m a developer, so get these things early!). I can imagine 20 hours being a bit of an extreme case (lots of fragmented files, slower hardware…).

I like how that website doesn’t work unless your horizontal resolution is greater than 1610 pixels… It doesn’t even display right on 1600×1200, you need a bigger monitor or a two monitor setup or else some of the text is cut off.

I actually had to stretch the window across two monitors to read it… Isn’t HTML designed to accommodate such things, or did this guy miss the memo?

9. Stuart says:

I have never found anything other than a clean install to be worth the inevitable grief down the road (because it never hard-fails immediately, it’s always something subtly fatal over days or weeks).

2-3 hours for an upgrade are times that I would consider unacceptable, but more than 20!? No effing way!