Microsoft unveils new tablet at Gizmodo Gallery in NYC

500x_mars3d_gizgallery.jpg

If you’re in New York City and love gadgets and geeks or both, don’t forget to check out Gizmodo Gallery, the annual limited-time-only gadget extravaganza hosted by Nick Denton and Brian Lam. It opens to the public tomorrow — they have a lot of vintage electronics, a pancake machine, a giant TV you can play video games on, and a lot of surprise toys that I won’t ever get to see because I’m stuck in San Francisco for the moment. Word is that they’ve gotten a much bigger space with &mdash! surprise! &mdash a tablet booklet from Microsoft, called the Courier.

500x_courier8.jpg

Gizmodo Gallery 2009: The Details

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Microsoft unveils new tablet at Gizmodo Gallery in NYC

1. Mark Sigal says:

First off, this is a really cool looking prototype. Second, I would hearken to what others raise; namely, when will the real product ship and what’s the OS and tools side of the equation, as Apple has pretty much shown this to be the bar for success.

Clearly, Apple learned this lesson from Microsoft (in PC 1.0) but MS feels long removed from those days (i.e., cultivating and growing a software centered ecosystem), especially in light of all of the legacy that they have to support.

Btw, here are some thoughts on where e-Book is headed:

Rebooting the Book (One Apple iPad Tablet at a Time):

Check it out if interested.

Mark

2. Trent Hawkins says:

Frankly without pressure sensitive features photo shop is rather crippled. You can still do vector art, and I guess I can still use max, but not paint.

3. Dean Putney says:

Ahem. wat? Microsoft Tablet? wat?

4. phisrow says:

@Dean: Microsoft has been chasing the “pen computing” dream since forever, more or less.

XP Tablet PC edition has been around since 2001, and the original “Windows for Pen Computing” was an add-on for Windows 3.11.

They’ve never really broken out of a niche; but not for want of trying.

5. Agies says:

A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer

I must say, that form factor is pretty f’in amazing. Please don’t let it be bloated and slow and horrible.

Phisrow, I had a “Windows for Pen Computing” machine! It was an NCR.. 386sx based, I think? It was really impressive at the time, color screen, optional wireless, and housed in a zippered leather folio. It also had a 1.8″ hard drive like the hard drive based iPods. It ended up being taken by an employee who apparently felt it was okay to not return stuff after you quit coming to work. [hell, I've done the same thing.. oh well.]

One enhancement: imagine a regular color screen on one side, and an eInk display on the other. Hmm…

8. tp1024 says:

Are they working on the XO-3 yet? The XO-1 has already transformed the computer landscape, the XO-2 is about to (as we can see), so what will the XO-3 be like?

9. matt_w says:

holy shit, it’s penny’s computer book from inspector gadget… i have wanted this since i was 5 years old!

what next? apple releasing a proton pack?!

10. Trent Hawkins says:

Interesting. I would like to see how good it is with photoshop. I’ve been looking through some tablet net-book options and none of them are pressure sensitive. At least the ones i’ve seen so far.

11. Agies says:

@11 No one seems willing to encourage people to press hard on LCDs. The Nintendo DS is theoretically pressure sensitive but I believe Nintendo actively discourages implementation of this functionality.

12. Christopher Muir says:

Totally agree. If this ends up being as half as good as it looks, I might re-switch.