Honda’s U3-X is the new segway

Earlier this week, Honda unveiled the U3-X, a unicycle-like tilt-operated vehicle that could put the Segway to shame. It’s still a prototype, but once commodified it could become a popular mode of transportation in

[via TokyoMango]

About Lisa Katayama

I'm a contributing editor here at Boing Boing. I also have a blog (TokyoMango), a book (Urawaza), and I freelance for Wired, Make, the NY Times Magazine, PRI's Studio360, etc. I'm @tokyomango on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Honda’s U3-X is the new segway

1. Adam Fields says:

This will change the way offices are built.

2. Alan says:

Ahhh, they even gave Asimo a cameo!

3. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I can see uses for that. I worked in a building where it was a one mile walk to lock all of the outside doors and another mile 5 hours later to unlock them. People used to drive a huge ride-on floor scrubber around to do the doors.

4. Freddie Freelance says:

It looks like something out of Harry Harrison’s “Stainless Steel Rat” stories! Didn’t the cops in those stories ride one wheeled Gyro-cycles?

5. Halloween Jack says:

Looks like it needs a ton of work before it’s anywhere near practical; for one thing, it has about an inch of ground clearance.

6. Enochrewt says:

Wow, I want one. To be able to go between computers, the TV and the kitchen to get a drink would be bliss. It’s still going to make me stand up to pee though… Why can’t technology fulfill all of my dreams? *SNIFF*

7. latent_ravening_ferocity says:

Very cool. But aimed at the same niche as the Segway: people too lazy to walk or ride a bike, but too healthy for a motorized wheelchair?

8. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

haha, stupid cool.

9. Dean Putney says:

I want one for my home office needs. Can I get z axis motion on that too?

10. hohum says:

…in where, in where?! :)

Anything that manages to make a pretty Japanese lady look dorky is going to be a seriously tough sell. Imagine your average geek on this thing – otherwise rational, level headed people would be rushing to give them a wedgie.