Sidekick servers “impacted” by outage.

T-Mobile’s Sidekick data outage entered its third day on Sunday, according to The Consumerist. The official word:

While we anticipate a significant portion of data services to be restored by Monday, some richer data services may lag. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience as we work hard with Danger/Microsoft to resolve this issue. We will continue to keep our customers updated as we have news to share.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Gadgets. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Sidekick servers “impacted” by outage.

1. Agies says:

And this is one of the major reasons I don’t buy into the whole cloud computing replacing desktop applications idea. Sure, it’s nice to be able to put some data online and work on it from anywhere but there’s no way I want my productivity (or lack thereof) to be subject to the whims of the internet.

2. Rob Beschizza says:

Damn straight. I get annoyed waiting for gmail to refresh. The whole idea of cloud computing is rooted in the notion that most work is trivial and inessential.

3. codeman38 says:

Well into this year, T-Mobile was still offering a $1/day no-contract plan for Sidekick data and messaging. It’s still probably available in stores, I’d imagine, though it’s not featured anywhere on their web site anymore.

It’s a shame that there isn’t something like that available for most other smartphones in the States. As someone who generally makes less than 100 minutes’ worth of voice calls a month myself due to an auditory processing disability, but does a lot of texting, e-mailing and IMing, such plans would be quite welcome.

I feel the same, but can’t help but wonder – if you compare “up time” between cloud computing and personal computing, would the cloud computing really be worse?

“Danger/Microsoft” – I know what that means, but why am I suddenly reminded of “Danger, Danger Will Robinson!”

6. haineux says:

I knew a few people that worked at Danger. They fled when Microsoft bought them. Interestingly enough, a lot of the same people fled WebTV when Microsoft bought THAT company.

All kidding aside, I know that the Sidekick is the preferred cellphone of deaf users. (Yes, they use a lot of SMS, and apparently the keyboard is really swell. Also T-Mobile used to have a special no-talk-minutes rate plan.)