Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is out

Picture 27.jpg

What you smell is the acrid aroma of a small nerve cluster in Cory's limbic system spontaneously shorting out through sheer orgiastic ebullience: the latest version of Ubuntu, code name Hardy Heron, is now available for download. Improvements nclude:

GNOME 2.22, Linux kernel 2.6.24, PolicyKit, PulseAudio, Xorg 7.3, Firefox 3 Beta 5, Brasero, Transmission, World Clock Applet, Vinagre, Uncomplicated Firewall, Totem, Inkscape, ActiveDirectory integration, iSCSI support, Memory Protection, SELinux Support, umenu, Virtualization, and the Wubi installation option for Windows users.

The site is getting absolutely hammered, so keep trying.

I'm looking forward to giving Ubuntu a shot again whenever I end up purchasing some type of Eee-style sub-notebook: there's no way I'm going to use it over OS X on my Mac, but every time I've played around with it, I've thought it was quite lovely.

Download Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 [Ubuntu]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is out

1. balexander667 says:

so, anyone know if they’ll ever make a version of linux that will support my tablet pen 🙂

2. Peter S. Conrad says:

Yes, Ubuntu on EEE! I have an 8G, old school, with the 7″ screen (d’oh) running Ubuntu. I use a Sprint Sierra Wireless U595 AirCard to connect to the internets, and I have a 16 GB SD in the slot to boost my total “hard drive” space to 24 gigs. I love it. The only Ubuntu problems that irk me are:

(1) Pidgin crashes a lot when I am connected via AirCard (although it seems okay when I am on WiFi).

(2) My ancient (Gutsy) version of Ubuntu doesn’t handle the EEE’s built-in camera

The only EEE problems that irk me are, of course the tiny form factor and the fact that it’s a little slow sometimes. But it’s so great to just have a computer with me all the time–one that will ALMOST do everything I do with my gigantic normal-sized laptop at home.

3. jgriffiths says:

Just got through installing and uninstalling Ubuntu, still doesn’t work with my wireless card, though it made a better show of trying to than the previous release.

Maybe when I get a laptop…

4. boxlightbox says:

those are my thoughts exactly. i fail to understand the necessity for a sub-notebook thingy with XP or vista on it, not even saying anything bad about XP or vista. They and OS X would feel almost bulky on a little guy like that.

5. Tom says:

I’m taking credit for the timing of this release: I finally got around to downloading RC4 a couple of days ago, and the pattern of Ubuntu releases is: new version is announced, I wait for the real release, I finally get fed up with waiting and download the latest release candidate, the new release is out a day or two later. At least this time I didn’t bother to install the RC!

6. Qozmiq says:

Every time I hear about Ubuntu, I hear the Talking Heads song Still Waiting. As in, still waiting for Cory to write his long…ummm…awaited review of Ubuntu. If I were a gazillionaire, I would pay Adobe whatever they wanted to port their products to Linux. I know, whine, whine, Wine. But, its not the same. I spend all day with Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver open. I have tried Ubuntu many times: Every time windows pisses me off “for the last time”. But alas, unless I get a new machine dedicated to CS3, then I have no option than to use broken Windrrrs. I would love a mac, but I love building systems way too much. I love Ubuntu. I just wish it could handle what I need. Outside of Adobe products, I would never touch Windrrrs again. Anyone out there that has successfully used adobe products on Ubuntu, please let us know.

7. Harrkev says:

Tom, the schedule for Ubuntu release is planned out months ahead. 30 seconds on Google, and you can figure out when 8.10 will be released (assuming that they don’t delay it).

8. jitrobug says:

For the past two releases I’ve upgraded to the beta before the initial comes out.. by the time they get out of the rc’s and into the beta, things are fairly stable. (or at least, they have been for me.. but I usually only do one or two computers out of my 4)

I started playing with ubuntu while trying to put together a “media” computer sometime in 2005, and I’ve steadily gotten more and more happy with it.

I have a windows computer that is pretty much a Steam terminal.. and I update my ipod with my fiancees windows laptop. Ubuntu just doesn’t work for me for either of those tasks.

With ubuntu all of my software stays up to date, and “it just works*” ..

9. Tom says:

“except of course when it doesn’t”

Yeah–I made the mistake of installing 8.04 on a machine I wanted to do some development on, processing images from a webcam input. I kinda hoped it would just pick up the cam when it was plugged in. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite work out that way.

After a couple of frustrating hours failing to download stuff from presumably overloaded servers, I gave up.

I love Ubuntu for the times when I just want an appliance for word processing etc. It covers 90% of what I want a computer to do, and one day Real Soon Now it’ll be as flexible as Windows. But every time I step outside the computer-as-appliance box, I wind up doing what I’m doing right now: re-installing Slackware.

10. John Brownlee says:

Jitrobug:

“Along with my ubuntu computer at work, I have an 800mhz g4 imac – it’s a cute little box, and I could see being an osx user someday…. except that I love having somebody else manage software packages and hate having to manually run installers and do all of that fiddly clicking.”

You don’t have to do any of that in OS X to install apps. You download a DMG file, double click it, drag it to your applications folder, and everything’s automatically installed. If you want to uninstall, you just delete the app and it removes everything. Simple.

11. Antonio Silva says:

@10
    Problem being that deleting the app file often does not really remove all the files that application has installed. Hence the need for AppZapper or AppDelete to do that. To not include a way to uninstall applications, like Windows, is one of the most stupid oversights from the Apple.

12. Rob Beschizza says:

Doesn’t remove everything. Macs can have plenty of garbage in Application Support and elsewhere from deleted apps. Not that it matters, but if you’re neurotic about leftover crap, there you go.

13. Brian Carnell says:

“Every time I hear about Ubuntu, I hear the Talking Heads song Still Waiting. As in, still waiting for Cory to write his long…ummm…awaited review of Ubuntu.”

LOL.

14. Brian Carnell says:

“(* except of course when it doesn’t, and you spend 6 hours editing your xorg.conf to try and get two monitors to work)”

I lucked out because I had an nvidia card, but using nvidia-settings it took about 10 minutes and a couple reboots to get dual monitors to work perfectly. I was also impressed that Ubuntu recognized the obscure SATA card outofthebox that I spent about a week before I could get it to work in Windows.

Still not quite ready to ditch Windows altogether, but 8.04 gets me a lot closer.

15. Patrick Nielsen Hayden says:

I agree. How dare Cory have a daughter, write novels, and blog about silly art projects when he could be writing reviews of Linux distributions!

I blame society.

16. Qozmiq says:

BC, PNA –

I agree. Life should never get in the way of ‘promised’ reviews of living day to day life with Linux Distros. How dare he.

Seriously though – The readership of this awesome site is huge. Cory writing a review could do ALOT to impact the readers, getting many, IMO, to give it a try, if now switch altogether.

Cory….PWEEEEEEESE?

17. MiseryDoll says:

Where can I get that sweet Hardy Heron wallpaper?!?!?!?! Love it!

18. MiseryDoll says:

Heh. Ooops. Simple google search found me it.