MacMall vs. Best Buy: Fight!

macdiscounts.jpg

This is tempting, but you should hold off: MacMall and Best Buy are in a discount showdown over the price of new Macs, with no clear winner... unless you're looking to buy a MacBook Pro, as I am, in which case, MacMall is blowing Best Buy... [Tobias Funke pause].... away.

Except they kind of aren't: MacMall's prices are based on instant discounts and mail-in rebates. Even in the best of climates, there'd be little chance of you getting that rebate — rebate houses love to dismiss your claims for the most frivolous of technicalities — but given the recent bankrupting of major rebate houses, there's less reason to trust them than ever.

Either way, you should hold off: Apple's web site is teasing their own Black Friday sale, and they have recently promised to match all competitors prices. So worst case scenario is that on Friday you'll get the same discount anyway, and best case is they'll actually beat it.

Black Friday Discounts on Macs [Mac Rumors]

This entry was posted in apple, Deals. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to MacMall vs. Best Buy: Fight!

1. technogeek says:

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve never had any trouble claiming rebates. Maybe it’s because I don’t generally deal with grey market or other on-the-edge sellers, so the rebates are more legitimate and more likely to be honored. Maybe it’s because I tend to buy products made by more reputable firms. Maybe it’s because I make sure I’m following the rebate directions to the letter. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

I don’t blame you for being cautious right now, especially when dealing with discounters.

But your milage _will_ vary.

2. CraziestGadgetsdotcom says:

also no shipping charges if you go to a retail apple store.

does macmall charge sales tax?

Of course, many buying a laptop or desktop from Apple are also going to get AppleCare, so it there goes the discount.

It is almost going to allow people to step up a notch in their selection perhaps, but the differences between models is greater than 15 percent.

4. remmelt says:

AppleCare should be bought via Ebay. Much cheaper and works just as well. I’ve done this for my MBP and have a registered AC contract, also I’ve brought it in and there have been no troubles getting the actual service, even though the AC was bought on the American Ebay and I live in Europe.

5. exhilaration says:

Ah, Tobias, he was a professional twice over — an analyst and a therapist.

6. zuzu says:

You mean… “away”, right? Because it sounds kind of odd if you don’t say “away”.

Dammit, now I’m going to wind up daydreaming about how incredibly attractive Ellen’s girlfriend was in that show. (Especially when her Australian accent sneaks out.)

7. journeys says:

I ended up buying from MacMall and got all my rebates. Great experience. I found out they had a store in LA so I drove there from Pasadena. Highly recommended. A whole lot better than Best Buy. I’d rather support a less conglomerate company any day.