iPhone running Mac OS System 7

3307183772_79b89cd974.jpg

Apple's iPhone now runs the full version of MacOS--MacOS 7, that is!

The MacOS iPhone project has successfully crunched the classic edition of Apple's Macintosh operating system, released in 1991, onto the company's popular cellphone. It took many weeks just to get it running, the developers report, but ultimately the whole system, including apps like MacPaint and MacDraw, run well enough to "sit for hours playing this this."

3307183778_67c870ef57_o.jpg

Photos: James Cunningham.

Project Page [MacOS iPhone project via OSNews and Electronic Pulp]

About Rob Beschizza

Follow Rob @beschizza on Twitter.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to iPhone running Mac OS System 7

1. caldrax says:

Oh man! Can I make Hypercard stacks???

2. nixiebunny says:

That is so cool. Does it respond to a BlueTooth keyboard and mouse?

3. devophill says:

Damn, that’s cool.

4. ridl says:

Hypercard (with ResEdit if you’re hardcore)! Pagemaker! Photoshop! Oregon Trail! KidPix!

That Grouch utility that would make Oscar pop out of your trashcan and sing every time you dropped a file in it!

My inner 7th grader just blew up.

5. Nelson.C says:

Is that OS7? I thought I recalled that OS7 was in colour?

6. usonia says:

Where do you put the floppies?

7. Phikus says:

I thought I recalled that OS7 was in colour?

Depends on which flavour of 7.

8. mudpup says:

Can I use this to call myself spring 1992? I believe a bit of advice from a trusted source would come in handy…

9. 0xdeadbeef says:

Cool! Where do I find this on AppStore?

10. gabejones says:

2 words people:
    Dark motherfreaking Castle!

11. hohum says:

Crystal Quest! Except I think they ported that to the iPhone anyway. Where’s my OS X port, though?!

Jailbroken iPhones have had a really slick port of Mini vMac for a while now: http://namedfork.net/iphone/minivmac/

13. Cory (a different one) says:

@Nelson C:

System 7 is not in color on a Mac SE, for sure. No mac with the 68000 processor supported color, only 68020 and up.

14. The Life Of Bryan says:

Funny thing is, the iPhone screen isn’t really much smaller than that of a Mac SE.

15. Dr Triffid says:

I can have copy & paste on an iPhone?

16. SkullHyphy says:

I didn’t read what went into the making of this iPhone, but I think it’s fishy that Apple no longer supports the “Classic” environment. I think it’s possible but they just don’t want to because you’re supposed to buy all new software every couple years. And I think they’re jerks for that.

17. mdh says:

Soon I will be able to run Rosarium on my iTouch.

Excellent.

18. grubi says:

19. dross1260 says:

Man, I just threw out my Paint installer floppies!

20. Nelson.C says:

SkullHyPhy @16: When you consider the problems that Microsoft have had with maintaining backwards compatibility with all versions(?) of Windows, maybe it was a wise choice on Apple’s part. Especially when you consider that Apple changed processor families not once but twice.

21. SkullHyphy says:

#18 posted by grubi OS X has been out for 9 years. What versions of what apps are you still using nine years later? Jesus. Let it go.

#20 posted by Nelson.C If you’re too broke to update your OS every five years or so, then you’re probably too broke to update the hardware anyway, so what’s the point?

All the iMacs die and the repair cost is prohibitive. I want to use SoundEffects 0.9.2, thOnk_0+2, SoundForum Synth, Spongefork, and I have an archive of old band recordings in SoundEdit 16 files. These were integral and formative tools in my artistic palette and replacing them w/ something similar is not the same. It’s like \switching guitars and amps or switching from oils to watercolors. Anyway, I’m looking into some emulators because some people do care.