"Here & There": Manhattan on a ringworld

uptown_hereandthere.jpg

"Here & There" is a project from Schulze and Webb to try to find a better way to display projection maps of dense cities. It's Grand Theft Auto IV meets Halo.

They'll sell you two prints, one uptown and one downtown, for $65. (€45 in Europistan.)

Update: Here it is in motion, which definitely makes it seem like the sort of thing I'd like to have in a GPS.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to "Here & There": Manhattan on a ringworld

1. phisrow says:

Hmm. I bet master chief would be inhumanly good at police brutality.

Would the subways be above or below the Scrith? If you don’t get it then you are not a Niven fan.

3. Enochrewt says:

Isn’t the scrith like a thousand miles thick or something? That’d be an awesome set of stairs if the subways were below it.

4. devophill says:

It’s the sort of thing I’d like to have in an FPS.

5. Moriarty says:

The scrith was only about 50 feet thick. You’re probably thinking of the rim walls.

6. strider_mt2k says:

Ringworld?

If it was on the real Ringworld it would be pretty much the same.

The stupid Ringworld is the size of one Earth ORBIT, so you wouldn’t really have much curve to deal with even at the scale of a city.

You could deposit every member of the human race across the Ringworld, and they could conceivably wander without two meeting each other.

Big.

7. strider_mt2k says:

LOL The real Ringworld.

I slay me.

8. SamSam says:

That’s pretty cool, and I bet it’s only a matter of time before someone comes up with some kind of Google Maps/Earth plugin that lets you do this for any map. Really, this should be a thing that would actually be useful on any iPhone, not just a cool poster.

9. Logotu says:

My impression is it only looks ring-like because Manhattan Island is a strip of land. It’s really more like being at the bottom of a bowl or inside a sphere.

As far as video games go I think this would work best in a Tony Hawk game, imagine using 5th Ave as a gigantic half pipe.