Space is the place

3531410425_f94db338c2.jpg
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Space is the place

1. zuzu says:

Any use of one of these images other than strictly private must be subject to prior information to: legault@astrophoto.fr

Hasn’t he heard of Creative Commons licensing?

(This could be mirrored on the Wikimedia Commons and the Internet Archive.)

2. Rob Beschizza says:

I’ve emailed Legault to check.

3. michael_05 says:

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

That is beautiful.

5. strider_mt2k says:

The cosmic ballet…continues.

6. pyrotmaniac says:

Cannon 5D with a 5 incher? I am now going to have to get a telescope and set my Nikon D60 up for some of the strange phenomena that you can see in back country alaska! I cant wait.

7. winkybb says:

New levels of awesomeness (for which there is no charge). Truly a directory of wonderful things.

8. Rico says:

Let’s hope Mr. Legault has moved on from what’s written here: “According to laws about image property, a link to this page is allowed but any public use (web site, television, magazine etc.) of one of these images is possible only after explicit consent of the author. Any violation will be subject to prosecution.”

Then again, he did post it on Flickr, right?

9. pAULbOWEN says:

Stunning, thanks for sharing.

10. kaiza says:

All I can think about when I read “Space is the place” is “the bird is the word”

11. kc0bbq says:

The ongoing lack of sunspots is really disturbing. It really gives the photo an eerie quality.

12. mdh says:

“The thing’s hollow—it goes on forever—and—oh my God—it’s full of stars!”

13. mdh says:

@kaiza

“Space is the place / with the helpful hardware man.”

(a riff on the Ace Hardware ad campaign, an admittedly regional reference)

I like your thing better though.

b-b-b-b-b-b-mao-mao

14. mdh says:

@kaiza

“Space is the place / with the helpful hardware man.”

(a riff on the Ace Hardware ad campaign, an admittedly regional reference)

I like your thing better though.

b-b-b-b-b-b-mao-mao

15. Vnend says:

The full sized version is very nice. You can see the blurring of individual seeing cells as you pan across it.

I have taken and seen quite a few solar pictures, and this one is very nice, both technically and for the content.

16. Rocky Frisco says:

The remarkable thing is that the Sun looks like a smooth ball in this photo. No sign of any sunspot activity. I can’t recall any time in the past when this was so. This simply must have some kind of important effect on Planet Earth. This is a radical change in the way things are.

17. Tony Corman says:

“Ever since the beginning of time, Man has longed to destroy the Sun.”

18. Adam Stanhope says:

There has been a spate of “Space is the Place” references over the past couple of weeks.

When I hear it, I think of Sun Ra and his Arkestra.

You can see an increase in Google searches for “Space is the Place” of late in Google Trends:

Is something wonderful about to happen?

19. John Kannarr says:

I’m pretty sure that the lack of sunspots is caused by global warming … didn’t I see that in Gore’s junkumentary? Oh, wait! Maybe there’s some other causal relationship, because it appears there’s been cooling going on the last few years. Maybe there ought to be some actual science going on to investigate any possible correlation …